CARE is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for the USAID-funded Integrated Rural Program to Improve Nutrition & Hygiene in Mali. This program is in response to the humanitarian crisis evolving from a complex emergency as well as the long-term development challenges in Mali and aims to build resilience for optimal health outcomes, especially for women and children. The COP serves as CARE’s key liaison to USAID, government counterparts, local organizations, other stakeholders and program partners.
The project has overall responsibility for high-quality program implementation, achievement of project deliverables, timely reporting, and management of staff, donor and host country relationships, and fiduciary oversight. The project is in its fourth year and is expected to run until December 2018. The Chief of Party will be based in Bamako.
- Project Management
- Staff Management
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reflection, and Learning
- Country Office Management
- Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field, Ph.D. preferred
- Minimum of 15 years overseas, senior leadership experience as COP, Program Director or Country Director or other comparable position in the field of international development
- At least 5 years’ experience managing large USG budgets
- Familiarity with USAID’s reporting, procurement, and project management policies and procedures
- Professional experience in working with USAID-supported cooperating agencies, donors, USAID missions, and international counterpart organizations; as well as other USG agencies a plus
- Technical proficiency in nutrition agriculture, water supply, sanitation, and/or hygiene, and behavior change communication program design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated knowledge of the cross-sectoral application of WASH strategies to improve health, livelihoods, and nutrition.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of state-of-the-art WASH practices and approaches
- Demonstrated experience working in partnership with international donors and agencies
- Demonstrated experience managing similarly complex projects in West African countries, especially the Sahel, involving multi-million dollar budgets, coordination with multiple programs, operations research, and managing partner institutions
- Strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills
- Multiple language skills (English, French (required), and Bambara) are a plus.
- Strong MS Office skills, including Word and Excel
- Strong written and oral presentation skills in English.
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
CARE USA is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.