Abt Associates seeks a dynamic Chief of Party for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded agricultural competitiveness and trade development program in West Africa. The project will improve regional and international trade flows by working with and through West African governments and Regional Economic Communities (RECs), to support trade and economic growth, and working with SMEs, and financial institutions. The project will also contribute to USAID/Nigeria’s goals and the Global Food Security Strategy objective of inclusive and sustainable agriculture-led economic growth.
Applicants must demonstrate expertise in policy, SME development, agricultural competitiveness, regional and international trade standards, and export development, as well as an ability to design and carry out project activities across multiple countries in collaboration with multiple stakeholders. The COP should possess the intellectual, leadership and management skills necessary to develop, articulate and implement a vision for the project as well as extensive experience in West Africa.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Be responsible for the overall planning, implementation and management of the project.
- Build a motivated, results-oriented team that is effective in organizing the work and coordinating with partners.
- Assure the timely delivery of assistance under the work plan and coordinate with senior technical staff to ensure sharing of relevant technical models, coordination of activities and quality control of the work.
- Coordinate with the DCOP to spend according to plan and ensure compliance with USAID regulations.
- Ensure clear communications with clients and stakeholders about project activities and accomplishments.
- Coordinate with monitoring staff to ensure timely and well-documented data collection, analysis, and reporting in support of the performance management plan.
- Represent the project to USAID and in public settings.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Advanced Degree in Business, Agriculture, Trade, Economics, or related field with 10-15 years of experience.
- Five to ten years of progressively responsible experience in international development, ideally with regional trade facilitation programs, in addition to at least five years of supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with West African regional trade and agriculture institutions, small business enabling environment, constraints to meeting international grades and standards, and agricultural sector competitiveness, as well as experience collaborating with key players in the region.
- Experience interacting directly with USAID (highly desired) or other similar donors, ideally regarding programmatic, strategic communications, and contractual issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including national and local governments, civil society organizations, private sector representatives and local communities.
- Prior work experience in Nigeria highly desired.
- Excellent interpersonal, supervision, problem-solving, and coordination skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate subordinates across large geographies.
- Language fluency in English required, French preferred.
- (15+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
This position is contingent upon project award.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com