Abt Associates, a major American research, technical assistance, and international development company, seeks an internationally recognized family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH) researcher and thought leader to serve as Chief of Party / Project Director for an anticipated United States Agency for International Development (USAID) FP/RH global research project.
The International Health Division of Abt Associates is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage all program activities and operations.
- Guide strategic planning, provide technical leadership over all research and evaluation tasks, and assure achievement of overall program results.
- Manage, supervise, and ensure the high-quality work of a team of full-time local and expat staff as well as multiple subcontractors.
- Oversee the operational, financial, and administrative project components including project work planning, budgets, reports, performance management, strategic communications, and other deliverables.
- Ensure that research findings are translated into evidence-based programs and policies.
- Manage the operational, financial, and administrative project components.
- Provide quality assurance over all technical and administrative research deliverables and ensure contractual compliance.
- Serve as the primary liaison between USAID, Abt Associations, subcontractors, and partners.
- Cultivate and maintain productive working relationships with USAID, project partners, and key stakeholders.
- Participate in international research networks, meetings, and select technical working groups as appropriate to represent the project and ensure collaboration with relevant technical work.
Required Skills / Prerequisites
- At least 15 years of experience working in low or middle-income countries, including experience directing (managing, designing, implementing, monitoring) FP/RH research studies.
- Excellent understanding of the process and goals of implementation science.
- Strong research methodology, monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Recent experience disseminating evidence and collaborating with implementation partners to inform evidence-based programming and policies.
- Demonstrated understanding of evidence-based program scale-up.
- Prior experience directing USAID-funded programs (preferred).
- Excellent leadership and adaptive management skills; ability to build collaborative relationships with a range of partners and stakeholders.
- Proven track record of project management, cost containment, and client satisfaction.
- Advanced degree in the social, medical, health management sciences, or a related field with minimum of 15 years of experience conducting FP/RH implementation research in low or middle-income countries.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com