Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded VectorLink Project. VectorLink will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the US-based Project Director, the Chief of Party manages, and supervises the successful implementation of the VectorLink Project, and acts as the primary liaison between the project and the local USAID mission, the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), other government agencies completing malaria control activities, and various other malaria stakeholders in-country. The COP is required to provide overall strategic direction, operations management, technical leadership, and financial and administrative compliance for all project activities to assure IRS campaigns meet desired outcomes, are completed on-time, and within budget.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Represents Abt Associates and the VectorLink Project to the PMI Advisor of the USAID Mission, the Ministry of Health, the NMCP, and other key stakeholders.
- Carries full authority and accountability for project decisions, as delegated by the US-based Project Director.
- Sets and pursues a results-oriented program strategy in coordination with the project team and in consultation with USAID, other partners and stakeholders.
- Leads the development and production of all deliverables, including annual country work plans, semi-annual reports, and End-of-Spray reports.
- Ensures that all country planning activities, spray operations, technical compliance measures, and other deliverables are achieved in a timely manner.
- Develops a capacity-building plan for transferring IRS knowledge and skills to local institutions, and develops important connections for assuring an increased role of local institutions in IRS campaign planning, implementation, and monitoring.
- Ensures that gender initiatives increase the participation of women at all levels and in all aspects of IRS programming, and ensure their safety.
- Supervises and mentors the Operations Manager, Technical Manager, Finance and Administrative Manager, and others as needed.
- Ensures that staff, team members and consultants understand their roles and responsibilities and comply with contract requirements, USAID and Abt policies and procedures.
- Oversees the development and timely implementation of monitoring plans for all project activities and ensures that data required for USAID performance benchmarks and results frameworks are produced.
- Ensures that project budget projections, expenditure, tracking and reporting are in accordance with USAID and Abt Associates requirements, procedures and practices.
- Ensures that lessons learned and best practices are documented and shared.
- Maintain regular communication with Abt Headquarters team, in regards to project updates and general project management aspects.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master Degree (minimum), or a Doctorate Degree (desirable), in Public Health/Health Administration (or other relevant health specialization) or Business Administration. Candidates with Medical Degrees are also desirable.
- 15 years of relevant international health experience, including significant experience in the area of malaria prevention and control.
- Experience in the geographic/cultural region of the project is preferred.
- At least 5 years of senior project management experience in large international health projects/programs.
- Demonstrated leadership in management skills and ability to lead and motivate multidisciplinary, multicultural teams, ranging from 10 to 30 employees.
- Experience managing a fast paced, results-oriented, deadline-driven project.
- Significant ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with USAID, ministry officials, and other development partners.
- Experience developing and communicating a project vision, aligning key stakeholders around the vision, and assuring the vision is translated into efficiently implemented program activities.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to communicate and write reports and other professional documents in English.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com