Abt Associates seeks a qualified Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded regional tuberculosis (TB) project based in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan. The project aims to improve long-term detection, treatment, and prevention of TB, especially drug resistant tuberculosis (DR-TB) in the region. The project will support new and effective approaches for DR-TB treatment and care, expand outpatient treatment models and related health reform activities, and improve the quality of TB medicine manufacturing and laboratory capacity to ensure high quality. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic direction and technical leadership to produce project results;
- Serves as the project’s key liaison with USAID, government counterparts, and local partners/stakeholders;
- Provides leadership and technical support specifically for project staff and subcontractors;
- Supervise the project’s technical assistance team to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation;
- Collaboratively create and implement a strategic, long-term programmatic vision;
- Monitors the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high quality work and internal control;
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Graduate Degree (minimum) in international development or another relevant field;
- Minimum 10 years of experience implementing large international health projects with significant TB experience
- Chief of Party experience preferred;
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience preferred;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Regional experience in one or more Central Asian countries;
- Excellent English and Russian skills required. Other Central Asian language is an asset.
This position is contingent upon award.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com