Abt Associates seeks a qualified Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded Health Financing Activity based in Indonesia. The activity aims to improve the efficiency, equity, predictability and sustainability of Government of Indonesia (GOI) financing for health by building capacity within government and academic centers to analyze and design financing reforms. This Activity will use the financing lever to improve service delivery outcomes for USAID priority areas of HIV, MNH, and TB.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall planning, implementation and management of the project.
- Build a motivated, results-oriented team that is effective in organizing the work and coordinating with partners.
- Assure the timely delivery of assistance under the work plan and coordinate with senior technical staff to ensure sharing of relevant technical models, coordination of activities and quality control of the work.
- Coordinate with DCOP to ensure project spending and expenses are USAID FAR and AIDAR compliant.
- Ensure clear communications with clients and stakeholders.
- Coordinate with M&E staff to ensure timely and well-documented data collection, analysis, and reporting in support of the performance management plan.
- Represent the project to USAID and in public settings.
- Provides strategic direction and technical leadership to produce project results;
- Serves as the project’s key liaison with USAID, government counterparts, and local partners/stakeholders;
- Provides leadership and technical support specifically for project staff and subcontractors;
- Supervise the project’s technical assistance team to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation;
- Collaboratively create and implement a strategic, long-term programmatic vision;
- Monitors the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high quality work and internal control;
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s degree with at least 15 years of experience working on and managing public health programs in developing countries, preferably in Indonesia, with particular focus on health financing and governance, policy and advocacy, HIV, TB prevention, MNH, or closely related areas.
- Five to ten years of progressive experience serving in a Chief of Party/Team Leader role and leading the implementation of a similar context program in the region, in addition to at least five years of supervisory experience.
- Expertise in health communication and policy/advocacy strategy design, implementation and measurement is preferred, or related 10-15 years of field experience
- Prior work experience in Indonesia highly desired.
- Experience collaborating with key players in Indonesia, specifically, the Ministry of Health.
- Experience interacting directly with USAID (highly desired) or other similar donors, ideally regarding programmatic, strategic communications, and contractual issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including national and local governments, civil society organizations, private sector representatives and local communities.
- Excellent interpersonal, supervision, problem-solving, and coordination skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate subordinates across large geographies.
- Language fluency in English required, Bahasa Indonesia preferred.
- MA/MS with 15 years of experience or PhD with 10 years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous and recent experience serving as a Chief of Part (Minimum portfolio: $10M);
Position is contingent upon award.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com