Chief of Party
Communities in Transition Division
Position Location: Northern Nigeria
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Project Duration: 5 years
Creative Associates seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated Good Governance USAID-funded project in Nigeria. The COP will be responsible for the strategic and technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. The COP ensures compliance with all terms of the project contract and all relevant USAID and USG rules and regulations. The COP will also take the lead in coordinating with USAID, the Government of Nigeria – federal and state-level – and other implementing partners.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Project Director at headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- Manages and is responsible for strategic, technical and financial performance of the project;
- Provides leadership, and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Ensures technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to Creative’s policies and procedures and consistent with USAID regulations;
- Works in partnership with the Project Director, engaging in frequent, routine communication with the Home Office around the project’s progress and potential issues;
- Develops and implements Results Framework/Logical Framework, and work plans for project activities;
- Oversees project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensures that project results are met;
- Supervises development and submission of project deliverables and provides timely and accurate reporting and briefings to USG/Stakeholders on all program areas;
- Oversees implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues;
- Responsible for managing the project’s relationships with federal and national level organizations and coordinating relationships with state, and local counterparts, with project State Governance Directors.
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities, and ensures that project results and targets are met;
- Manages project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development, and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of Master’s degree from an accredited university in public administration, public financial management, economics, public policy or a relevant field is required;
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience working on public administration and governance programs;
- Demonstrated experience in strategic development and managing to achieve strategic results;
- Experience working in Sub-Sahara Africa, which experience working in Nigeria strongly preferred;
- Prior experience implementing large USG programs with a Contractor or international NGO with demonstrated supervisory experience and in remote or distance management;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge establishing systems and rapid start-up of analytical studies and surveys;
- Demonstrated experience in developing managing and working with effective host country teams. Experience in hiring and supervising host country staff and ensuring they have the necessary training and skills to meet program needs;
- Financial management experience, including budgeting, financial management (tracking, reporting, and accounting) and procurement;
- Experience with project design and implementation;
- Past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming; and
- Fluency in English, written and spoken.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Knowledge of state government reform efforts in Nigeria;
- Experience working on programs related to good governance, public financial management, government service delivery, citizen engagement, and/or conflict mitigation;
- Understanding of and ability to implement findings of political economy analysis;
- Proficiency in Hausa is preferred; and
- Experience engaging women and marginalized groups to ensure their inclusion.
Local and regional candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is contingent upon donor funding.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.