Blumont is looking to hire a Chief of Party (CoP) for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded RISE II Resilience and Natural Resources Management Activity in Centre Nord region of Burkino Faso and the Maradi and Zinder regions of Niger. The Activity targets strengthening the resilience of selected communes in both countries and building local and national capacities to withstand shocks and crises resulting from the impacts of climate change and socio-economic stressors, and to achieve long-term development progress. Activity implementation is expected to begin in 2019.
The CoP will likely be based in Niamey, Niger with frequent in-country trips and travel to Burkina Faso. S/he will work closely with the Blumont’s Headquarters in Arlington, Virginia. The CoP is a senior leadership position and will provide overall strategic direction in the design, management, implementation and overall quality assurance of the project. S/he will also provide technical assistance. The CoP will be Blumont’s primary point of contact with USAID and all relevant stakeholders. S/he will collaborate with the relevant Ministries and other critical partners to provide high-level support for effective capacity building at the local level and sustainability of the project interventions. The CoP will oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with in-country priorities and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and Blumont’s regulations.
Other duties include:
- Prepare strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USAID guidelines.
- Lead start up activities including offices establishment and team recruitment.
- Ensure technical compliance with the agreement/contract with USAID and timely delivery of project activities, and oversee the performance of project staff including Blumont’s and those of the partners/sub-awardees.
- Ensure proper financial management, procurement, human resources and logistics in compliance with the Blumont’s policies.
- Support the development of strong M&E mechanisms and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation; allow for timely and accurate decision-making and course corrections.
- Support a rigorous approach to learning and adaptation, in consultation with USAID.
- Establish effective communication and coordination with personnel from the government in order to implement interventions and incorporate country-wide priorities.
- Create a positive working environment for all staff and ensure fair professional growth and training opportunities for team members.
- Represent Blumont and the project before USAID and in coordination meetings with national institutions and international donors.
- Work with the project’s security focal person, and Blumont’s regional security focal person to develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members.
- Support identification of growth opportunities in the region.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Postgraduate degree in agronomy, agricultural economics, water management, natural resources management, soil science, international development, business management or other relevant fields.
- Minimum of 15 years of professional experience in implementing international development projects, preferably in the fields of rural development, climate change adaptation, water management, or economic development.
- Previous experience as CoP for large-scale projects.
- At least five (5) years of working in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Fluency in English and French a must.
- Strong negotiation and presentation skills and ability to build strong relationships with host governments’ institutions, local and international NGOs, and donors.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
Blumont is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, Teach America and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Blumont, a charitable, non-profit, non-governmental organization, focuses its operations in regions of the world that present social, political and technical challenges. Blumont specializes in facilitating and supporting assistance that is tailored specifically to those most in need. Blumont works in collaboration with a wide range of organizations in the design and implementation of humanitarian relief and development aid programs, including U.S. and foreign government agencies, bilateral and international donor organizations, international finance organizations, faith-based organizations, advocacy groups, international and local NGOs, and U.S. corporations. Blumont's mission is to reduce the suffering of the world’s most vulnerable groups and provide tools and resources needed to increase their self-sufficiency. We accomplish our mission by implementing targeted cost-effective relief and development programs that improve the lives of these vulnerable groups