Creative Associates seeks a Chief of Party for an anticipated 5-year USAID-funded Supporting Effective Justice program in El Salvador. The purpose of this program is to build the long-term and self-sustaining institutional capacity of El Salvador’s criminal justice system to deliver effective and accountable justice services that protect victims and reduce impunity for selected violent crimes and corruption.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Director of the Citizen Security Practice Area.
Creative Associates seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded project in El Salvador focused on justice and anti-corruption. The COP will be responsible for the overall planning, implementation, and management of the project as well as the achievement of the goals and objectives of the project in a timely and cost-effective manner. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. The COP ensures compliance with all terms of the project contract and all relevant USAID and USG rules and regulations. The COP will also take the lead in coordinating with USAID, relevant Government of El Salvador bodies at the local and national levels, and other implementing partners.
- The project will contribute to the resilience, effectiveness, and self-reliance of local government and civil society.
- Project will meet deliverables on time and within budget.
- The project will be in compliance with agreement terms and USAID regulations.
- Coordination with other implementers, government institutions, and other key stakeholders will improve synergies and increase the impact of the project.
Other responsibilities include:
- Provide overall technical and administrative leadership and demonstrate intellectual ownership for the project’s implementation;
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID on management and technical matters;
- Supervise activity implementation and ensure the activity meets stated goals and reporting requirements;
- Take a leadership role in coordination among donors and key stakeholders and other implementing partners;
- Interact with numerous government institutions and senior-level national and local-level government official;
- Ensure technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to Creative’s policies and procedures and consistent with USAID regulations;
- Oversee implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provide leadership in handling security-related issues;
- Oversee implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensure that project results and targets are met;
- Work in partnership with the HQ-based Project Director, engaging in frequent, routine communication with the Headquarters Office around the project’s progress and potential issues; and
- Manage the project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in human rights, law, public administration, international relations or a juris doctorate (JD);
- Twelve (12) years of senior management experience with progressively increasing responsibilities managing development projects;
- Experience managing projects in rule of law and corruption areas;
- Experience working with senior government officials in Latin America and building consensus among diverse actors;
- Experience managing International donor contracts and agreements preferred;
- Experience working in Latin American countries is preferred; and
- Speaking and writing fluency in English and Spanish, level 4 required.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience working with criminal justice reform in Latin America or international donor-led initiatives such as CICIG in Guatemala or MACCIH in Honduras;
- Experience working with partnership organizations, especially civil society organizations and/or government agencies;
- Experience working on a donor funded justice sector and/or corruption program(s).
Position is contingent upon award of project.
Local and regional candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.