Chemonics seeks a chief of party for the USAID Quality Reading Program – Time to Read in the Kyrgyz Republic. This $9.9 million four-year program (October 2016 to September 2020) is now in Year 3 of implementation. The program is committed to improving early grade literacy outcomes for 180,000 students in Grades 1 through 4. Quality Reading Program – Time to Read works closely with the Kyrgyz Ministry of Education and Science to improve reading instruction, the use of assessment tools to monitor student reading progress, and the availability and quality of reading materials in more than 900 primary grade schools. Interventions also include parental and community engagement efforts that reinforce the importance of reading and support student learning outside school. The chief of party will be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide technical leadership and management of the Quality Reading Program – Time to Read, ensuring that its quality requirements are met or exceeded
- Oversee program administration, implementation, and financial management to ensure they align with budget allocations, internal Chemonics policies, and USAID regulations
- Supervise technical and administrative staff, including the deputy chief of party and technical leads, ensuring that staff successfully manage project activities and operations
- Oversee annual project work planning, and establish procedures to measure the project’s progress against the work plan
- Serve as the project’s primary liaison with USAID, partners, and host-country government officials
- Engage and collaborate with key members of the Kyrgyz Ministry of Education and Science and other affiliates involved in improving early grade reading
- Doctorate in education preferred
- Experience managing international development programs, including education projects
- Expertise in early grade reading instruction and assessment as well as reading material creation, design, printing, and publishing
- Strong leadership, management, communications, and reporting skills
- Experience related to the development of pre-service and in-service training programs, innovative supplementary materials, student assessment, coaching and mentoring, and monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in education policy reform
- Ability to perform at a high level and work diplomatically with a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong intercultural skills
- Experience working in Central Asia preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English required; fluency in Russian or Kyrgyz preferred
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Chief of Party” in the subject line to KyrgyzReadCOP@chemonics.com by December 14, 2018. No telephone inquiries. Finalists will be contacted.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.