Creative is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Niger. The COP will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. The COP ensures compliance with all terms of the project contract and all relevant donor rules and regulations.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Program Director in the CIT Division or his/her designee.
- Communal authorities and regional representatives of the Nigerien government understand their respective local governance role and responsibilities and engage in more effective intergovernmental communication and collaboration to address community needs.
- Municipal governments improve their ability to accountably plan, manage and execute budgets, and provide basic services.
- Citizens and local civil society actors know their rights, are better mobilized, and engage communal governance process, and exercise these rights through institutionalized and ad hoc mechanisms.
- Manages and is responsible for technical and financial performance of the project;
- Provides technical direction, leadership, and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Ensures technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to Creative’s policies and procedures and consistent with USAID regulations;
- Works in partnership with the Project Director, engaging in frequent, routine communication with the Home Office around the project’s progress and potential issues;
- Develops and implements work plans for project activities;
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensures that project results are met;
- Supervises development and submission of project deliverables and provides timely and accurate reporting and briefings to USG/Stakeholders on all program areas;
- Oversees implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues;
- Responsible for managing the project’s relationships with federal, state, and local counterparts, NGOs, and other stakeholders;
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities, and ensures that project results and targets are met;
- Supports the implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues and addressing local staffing and personnel issues related to security; and
- Manages project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development, and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as social sciences, law, development studies, etc; or bachelor’s degree with five (5) additional years of relevant international development experience;
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience working in governance programs, including experience with a Contractor or international NGO with demonstrated supervisory experience;
- At least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in senior program management;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge establishing systems and overseeing start-up under limited time constraints as well as program close-out;
- Demonstrated experience applying principles of adaptive management to complex development programs;
- Experience working in the democracy and governance sector in West Africa, preferably Niger;
- Experience in the hiring and supervising of host country local personnel and ensuring, when need arises, that they secure necessary training required to meet program needs;
- Financial management experience, including budgeting; financial management (tracking, reporting, and accounting); and procurement;
- Experience with activity design, development, and implementation;
- Strong management and leadership skills, including the ability to mentor staff;
- Past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming;
- Fluency in French and English, written and spoken;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Strong analytical capacity.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.