Creative is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded education project in Kyrgyzstan. Based in Bishkek, the project seeks to improve early grade learning outcomes in the Kyrgyz Republic for 300,000 students in grades one through four. To reach this goal, the project seeks to improve instructional quality in reading and math; improve formal and non-formal learning environments; and strengthen the Kyrgyz education system. The project will also include a focus on inclusive education and community engagement.
The Chief of Party is responsible for the overall planning, implementation and management of the project as well as the achievement of the goals and objectives of the project in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the project director in Washington, D.C.
The Chief of Party will be responsible for the technical leadership, operational and program integrity of the project. the COP is responsible for the planning, management, monitoring, and quality of performance, and reporting on progress toward objectives. The COP is the designated contact person for the program, responsible for management of the relationship between the USAID and Contractor.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with Kyrgyz civil society organizations on program communications and technical implementation activities;
- Serve as principal liaison with U.S. Government representatives and Kyrgyz government counterparts;
- Provide technical direction and leadership and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Provide technical support to the team in all program areas;
- Develop and implement work plans for project activities;
- Oversee implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensure that project results are met;
- Supervise development and submission of project deliverables and provide timely and accurate reporting and briefings to U.S. Government/Stakeholders on all program areas;
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting and collection and analysis of monitoring and evaluation data;
- Ensure compliance with all terms of the project agreement and all relevant USAID and U.S. Government rules and regulations;
- Oversee implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provide leadership in handling security-related issues; and
- Manage the program team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 15 years of experience in relevant management, supervisory, technical experience working with programs that are of a similar scope to this activity is required (at least 10 of these years must be in a management/leadership position);
- At least 10 years of experience in the education sector in Central Asia is required, preferably in Kyrgyzstan, with experience in project designs, policy dialogue, strategic planning and implementation, education reform and national-level quality improvement;
- Experience in early grade reading and education in conflict-affected, alternative and rural settings is required;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of capacity development and professional development;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex, politically charged, unstable environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines.
- Strong management and leadership skills, including the ability to mentor staff;
- Demonstrated past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming; and
- Flexibility to potential changes in program objectives and shifting political contingencies.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Professional proficiency in Kyrgyz or Russian.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.