Creative Associates International (Creative) is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated short-term donor-funded project in the Middle East with the possibility of follow-on funding. The COP will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. The COP ensures compliance with all terms of the project contract and all relevant donor rules and regulations. The COP will also take the lead in coordinating with donor representatives, and other implementing partners. This position is contingent upon donor funding.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Chief of Party will report to the Project Director at Creative headquarters.
- Successful quick start of program operations and staffing in coordination with relevant HQ support teams.
- Issuance of a high volume of grants in a short period of time.
- All program deliverables are met.
- Manages and is responsible for technical and financial performance of the project;
- Provides technical direction, leadership, and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Ensures technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to Creative’s policies and procedures and consistent with donor regulations;
- Makes key operational decisions and solves problems in short time frames while ensuring operational and program integrity;
- Develops and implements work plans for project activities;
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensures that project results are met;
- Supervises development and submission of project deliverables and provides timely and accurate reporting and briefings to Donor/Stakeholders on all program areas;
- Overall management of the in-country relationship with client;
- Oversees implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues; and
- Manages project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Relevant work experience, including experience with a Contractor or international NGO managing an office or program;
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience supervising complex, high-speed and challenging field operations in developing countries. Experience in conflict or post-conflict countries is a plus;
- Experience with programs that provide quick delivery of assistance in response to emerging windows of opportunity;
- Experience working in developing countries is required, preferably in a conflict or post-conflict setting. Experience with programming in the Middle East is preferred;
- Experience with grant management, preferably in-kind and small grants;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing systems and overseeing program start-up under limited time constraints as well as program close-out;
- Strong management and leadership skills, including the ability to mentor staff;
- Experience in the hiring, training and supervising of host country local personnel and ensuring, when need arises, that they secure necessary training required to meet program needs;
- Past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming;
- Financial management experience, including budgeting and financial management (tracking, reporting and accounting);
- Experience with activity design, development, and implementation; and
- Fluency in English, with Arabic Language skills a plus.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing interventions that contribute to resilience building, livelihoods diversification, and economic growth across the agricultural value chain.
Regional candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.