Jhpiego seeks a Chief of Party (COP) to provide vision, leadership and direction to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, and financial integrity for an upcoming USAID health activity. The project aims to increase Malians’ ability to plan, finance, and manage their health system and their own health at the family, household, community, district, regional, and national levels. The project will build the capacity and commitment of Malians to achieve sustained improvements in the health status of Malians through the following results: 1) Access to high-quality health services expanded; 2) Demand for and use of health services increased; and 3) Individual and household adoption of healthy behaviors increased
The COP will have the overall responsibility for leadership and management and reporting of project activities. S/he will be responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short timeframes while ensuring operational and project quality and integrity. S/he will serve as the project’s main point of contact with USAID, on routine and strategic matters. S/he will also ensure effective organizational management and communication with the host country government at all levels, and international partners and agencies.
This position is contingent upon award from USAID. Malian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of the project and to achieve rapid and sustained goals, objectives and targets
- Ensure that project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of the Malian government, its people and donors
- Ensure compliance with the terms of the award
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with USAID, the MOH, as well as other donor agencies, implementing partners, private sector partners and other key stakeholders in Mali to maximize resources and avoid duplication of effort
- Represent Jhpiego and the project’s progress, achievements and lessons learned to donors, other key stakeholders, and through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Provide technical leadership and ensure the quality and sustainability of interventions
- Collaborate with project team to build capacity for health service delivery (HSD) quality improvement (QI) and health system strengthening (HSS).
- Lead the annual work planning process in close collaboration with USAID, the MOH and the project team
- Oversee the quality, preparation, and timely submission of project reports to donor
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Provide guidance, in collaboration with staff, to subcontractors and sub-grantees
- Write and/or review project materials and publications
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) staff to develop M&E frameworks and effectively track data/results
- Work closely with Jhpiego home office staff to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation
- Ensure compliance with USAID operational policies and regulations
- Advanced degree (Masters minimum) in public health, health administration, international health or a related field; MD preferred
- Previous experience serving as COP/project director or DCOP or senior level management
- 10+ years’ experience successfully managing large, multi-partner, multi-year international health sector development projects (approximately $5M per year)
- Proven ability to successfully lead HSD and HSS activities, including nutrition, maternal, newborn and child health, malaria, family planning and reproductive health interventions
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing project systems and overseeing project start-up and close-out
- Previous experience working in Mali strongly preferred, with intimate knowledge of the Malian health system, understanding of key gaps in the system and opportunities to improve health outcomes, and solid relationships at government agencies
- Experience hiring and supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving project needs
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- In-depth knowledge of USAID projects, regulations, compliance and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English and French
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national projects and technical staff
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally up to 40% of the time
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.