DAI seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for Feed the Future (FtF) Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services funded by USAID in Nigeria. The anticipated project will accomplish sustainable delivery of extension services to smallholder farms which will result in increased sales of inputs and quality services across 7 states. The 5-year activity is envisioned to start in 2019. The COP must be a dynamic professional with technical expertise in extension services in government and market-driven systems, and as such, must be familiar with agribusiness and/or value chain development and have prior experience in engaging diverse stakeholders (including government agencies and private service providers) so that extension services are sustained well past the project’s end date. The position will provide overall strategic direction in the design, management, implementation and overall quality assurance of the project. The COP will oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with USAID FtF and CDCS priorities and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and DAI regulations.
- Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the project in line with USAID guidelines to achieve objectives;
- Oversee program administration, operations, implementation, and fiscal management to ensure financial activity aligns and is compliant with budget allocations, internal policies, and donor regulations;
- Assure high quality technical leadership and oversight for the program;
- Manage high-level relations with project stakeholders, leaving State-speciifc relations to the DCOP and State Managers to handle;
- Ensure the development of strong M&E mechanisms, program monitoring tools and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation;
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks related to the program, including compliance with donor transparency and due diligence requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Agricultural Economics, Agronomy, Business Administration, Development studies, or similar is required;
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in designing, managing and implementing agribusiness and/or value chain programs to include work on extension systems
- At least five years’ experience as Chief of Party, Project Director or similar senior management position, ideally with USAID and preferably in Nigeria; demonstrated experience in managing teams dispersed across wide geographic areas is a plus
- Experience with Feed the Future Programs is critical;
- In-depth knowledge of USAID approaches and regulations;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
About the Organization
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.