The Youth Connect activity is one of several activities supporting USAID’s Bridge project, devoted to addressing the development challenges at the nexus of countering violent extremism and resilience. The goal of the activity is to equip vulnerable young women and men in Niger with technical and life skills, networks, and capital for increased strategic economic opportunities. This objective supports the overall Bridge project purpose, which is to address critical unmet needs that are the main drivers of violent extremist recruitment in the Sahel: poor governance, lack of economic opportunity, and perceived exclusion from the benefits and services provided and facilitated by governments in the region.
Creative Associates International (Creative) is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated USAID-funded Youth Connect activity. The COP will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. The COP ensures compliance with all terms of the project contract and all relevant donor rules and regulations.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Program Director in the Economic Growth Division at Creative HQ.
- Equip youth with market-relevant skills to prepare them for livelihoods;
- Link youth to jobs, market information networks, and business coaching;
- Prepare youth and youth cooperatives to access and manage financial resources; and
- Engage youth and youth groups in local governance/community structures that will support their own development needs.
- Manages and is responsible for technical and financial performance of the project;
- Provides technical direction, leadership, and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Ensures technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to Creative’s policies and procedures and consistent with USAID regulations;
- Works in partnership with the Project Director, engaging in frequent, routine communication with the Home Office around the project’s progress and potential issues;
- Develops and implements work plans for project activities;
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensures that project results and targets are met;
- Supervises development and submission of project deliverables and provides timely and accurate reporting and briefings to U.S. Government /Stakeholders on all program areas;
- Supports the implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues and addressing local staffing and personnel issues related to security;
- Responsible for managing the project’s relationships with federal, state, and local counterparts, NGOs, and other stakeholders; and
- Manages project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Masters’ degree in international development, agriculture, economics, business, or other relevant field; or bachelor’s degree with eight (8) additional years of relevant international development experience;
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience implementing programs in youth entrepreneurship and engagement, positive youth development (PYD), agriculture, market systems strengthening, resilience, access to finance, or related fields;
- At least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in senior program management, preferably working in fragile states;
- Experience in working in countering violent extremism (CVE), peacebuilding, democracy and governance, or a related field;
- Proven experience integrating Gender Equality, Female Empowerment, and Social Inclusion (GESI) into development projects;
- Financial management experience, including budgeting, financial management (tracking, reporting, and accounting), and procurement;
- Experience working with donor projects, USAID preferred;
- Prior experience implementing economic growth programs in the Sahel region, Niger highly preferred;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders;
- Strong management and leadership skills, including the ability to mentor staff;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Fluency in French and English, written and spoken.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.