Job Title: Chief of Party
Department/Location: Democratic Republic of Congo
Reports To: Project Director
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: This is a managerial, exempt level postion and is not eligible for overtime pay.
IBTCI is currently seeking a Chief of Party for the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordination Contract (MECC) project in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The Chief of Party is responsible for managing and leading teams for the project and has overall responsability for data collection, monitoring and evaluation and report generation. This position starts in September 2019
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide overall responsability for all data collection, monitoring and evaluation, report generation, and related tasks.
- Serve as primary liaison with the USAID Contracting Officer’s Representative and Contracting Officer.
- Ensure quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the contract, including necessary adjustments to operations to fit the requirements of USAID.
- Provide strategic direction and overall supervision and successful management of the program.
- Develop and oversee program work plans and budgets based on expected program outputs and results using an adaptive management approach.
- Identify issues and risks related to program management in a timely manner.
- Track performance monitoring analysis and apply course correction as needed.
- Ensure management of sound administrative practices with regard to recordkeeping in accordance with both donor regulations and internal policies.
- Manage the project’s financial resources in accordance with the budget as well as donor and IBTCI policies.
- Supervise, develop and mentor staff.
- May be required to be in-country to perform the essential duties of this position.
- Manage all fiduciary duties in a responsible and professional manner.
- Travel is essential, and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25% to 35% travel for project implementation and/or project management.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and/or managing an office with a diverse staff.
- Demonstrated experience and technical knowledge of monitoring, evaluation methods and performance management including indicator development, data collection and analysis, data quality assessments, performance reporting, evaluation design and planning, experimental/quasi-experimental evaluation design, and management/dissemination of evaluations.
- Demonstrated experience in performance monitoring, tracking data quality, data management, and/or training in past performance management topics.
- Demonstrated experience in evaluation methodology, statistical analysis, experimental design, and/or data collection and analysis.
- Experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders, including donor/development organizations, government officials, civil society leaders, community leaders, and project beneficiaries.
- Experience building organizational capacity in monitoring and evaluation and strategic learning preferred.
- Experience conducting monitoring and evaluation activities in non-permissive, conflict-prone or post-conflict reconstruction environments strongly preferred.
- Solid knowledge of USAID Rules and Regulations.
- Willingness to work for extended periods in insecure and diverse environments.
- Prior Africa experience preferred, francophone Africa experience desired, experience working in DRC and/or the Great Lakes region is strongly desired.
- Minimum 10 years of management experience.
- At least 15 years of experience in international development, including experience and/or technical knowledge in designing, managing, and evaluating multi-million dollar development projects.
- At least 5 years of experience as a COP or senior field management experience such as Project Director, Regional Director or Country Director.
- Prior experience managing and conducting large scale performance and/or impact evaluations across a diverse range of sectors
- Prior experience supervising long-term field staff and short-term U.S., third country, and local experts.
- Prior experience working with USAID required.
- Substantial experience managing complex, multi-year donor-funded programs.
- Demonstrated high quality analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage change effectively.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated skills to ensure professional consistency in spite of urgent deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience managing, mentoring and developing staff.
- Travel is essential and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25%-35% travel for project implementation and/or project management duties. Percentages may vary depending on IBTCI business needs.
- Oral and written fluency in English and French required.
Education: Master’s degree in management, international development, economics, public policy, statistics, political science, health, education, or a related field required; PhD preferred.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: Travel is essential and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25%-35% travel for project implementation and/or project management duties. Percentages may vary depending on IBTCI business needs.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or reponsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. We are an E-Verify Employer. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.
About the Organization
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.