John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management firm, headquartered in the United States, dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI has been implementing public health work in Ethiopia for over 25 years.
JSI is implementing the five-year Digital Health Activity in Ethiopia, which is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The purpose of this Activity is to support the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) to improve the quality of health services and create a sustainable health care system through the use of data for decision making, as well as to provide similar services to other countries in Africa or to respond to a crisis in Ethiopia (as needed). The primary objectives of the Activity are to 1) support information technology systems and data repository at all levels; 2) build a culture of data use; and 3) improve capacity and governance of MOH health information systems management.
The Chief of Party (COP) will serve as the primary technical and managerial lead for the implementation of the Digital Health Activity. The COP is the senior-most JSI staffed position for digital health, supply chain and regulatory affairs activities in country. He/She will provide leadership and coordination in strategic planning, program development and management, and will oversee the implementation and evaluation of all activities and operations related to these programs in Ethiopia. He/she will serve as key liaison with USAID, the Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), The Global Fund (TGF), Partnership for Supply Chain Management (PFSCM), Gavi, Ethiopian Government counterparts including the Ethiopian Pharmaceutical Supply Agency (EPSA) and the Ethiopian Food and Drug Administration (EFDA), and local and international partners. The COP will manage and supervise the work of program personnel and subcontractors and ensure that all program assistance is technically sound and appropriate. The COP will manage a field-based team of about 200 staff and support business development efforts as well.
- Provide overall leadership and coordination in planning, implementation, and evaluation of all JSI-supported Digital Health, supply chain and regulatory systems strengthening activities in Ethiopia.
- Serve as the projects’ chief local representative with USAID, FMOH, BMGF, Gavi, TGF, EPSA, EFDA, other U.S.G. implementing partners, and other national/international agencies, institutions, and stakeholders to ensure that the project team is responsive to client needs, requirements, and expectations. Create good client relationships and a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Communicate regularly with JSI headquarters project staff.
- Lead the management of all sub-contractors and sub-grantees.
- Recruit, supervise, and manage all program staff and consultants working on this activity.
- Ensure quality and timeliness of work plan implementation and completion of activities within budget and oversee risk assurance for program activities.
- Exercise fiscal responsibility for in-country budget and expenditures.
- Oversee the development of appropriate planning, monitoring, management and control systems to ensure informed decision-making and implementation of project activities.
- Identify short-term technical assistance needs, define the scopes of work, obtain travel approvals, and organize and support related work to ensure successful outcomes.
- Oversee monitoring and reporting of project activities and ensure incorporation of lessons learned into ongoing activity tasks. Ensure performance against targets. Institute corrective action where necessary.
- Produce technical reports, quarterly reports and other documentation on project progress for submission to the local USAID Mission, USAID Washington, TGF, BMGF and the JSI home office. Adhere to reporting guidelines and deadlines.
- Ensure compliance with JSI, USAID, TGF and BMGF policies, rules and regulations.
- Communicate and coordinate with the JSI country representative in Ethiopia to ensure consistent policies and procedures.
- Represent JSI and the projects at local and international meetings and conferences.
- Responsible for enforcing, promoting, and upholding JSI’s corporate culture, values, and fraud/ethics policies.
- Assist in the identification and pursuit of new business opportunities.
- Coordinate with other JSI Chiefs of Parties and the Ethiopia Country Representative to ensure streamlined project implementation across JSI in Ethiopia.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor our Ethiopia Country Representative.
- Post graduate or graduate degree in public health, digital health, information science, international health, business administration, project management, pharmacy, supply chain management or equivalent degree.
- Demonstrated experience in managing public health programs or projects in a developing country, with 10 or more years of senior management experience.
- Extremely strong understanding of health systems in Africa.
- Five years project management experience in digital health implementation and data use.
- Previous work experience managing large contracts and projects, preferably in an executive level capacity.
- Experience in managing, motivating, and supervising large field-based teams.
- Demonstrated client engagement skills.
- Excellent communication, knowledge management, negotiation, leadership, and analytical skills.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally to support project activities as needed.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken), knowledge of Amharic preferred
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and The Global Fund experience useful.
- Previous work experience working in Ethiopia preferred.
- Previous experience in client facing role engaging stakeholders.
About the Organization
John Snow, Inc., and our nonprofit JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., are public health management consulting and research organizations dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. Our mission is to improve the health of underserved people and communities and to provide a place where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause.