We are currently seeking qualified Chief of Party candidates for the anticipated five-year USAID/Ukraine National Identity Through Youth (UNITY) Activity. The COP will provide technical leadership and management oversight for the project and will serve as the primary liaison with USAID and relevant project stakeholders. This position is contingent upon award. The Chief of Party will be based in Kyiv.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall technical direction of the project and management of project activities, providing leadership to the project team to ensure high quality programming to achieve project results.
- Serve as WNISEF’s liaison to USAID, partners, host country government, and other key project stakeholders in relation to UNITY Activity implementation.
- Oversee project planning (i.e., development of work plans and operating budget) and reporting (i.e., review and approve periodic budgets and reports).
- Ensure that WNISEF provides high-quality technical assistance to local partners; conduct regular monitoring and mentoring visits to local partners.
- Ensure that USAID and WNISEF reporting requirements on program impact are met. Oversee project staff in helping partners establish reporting and tracking systems to provide key information in an efficient and timely manner.
- Oversee and monitor quality of capacity development to local organizations, using customized capacity building tools and approaches to ensure measurable impact.
- Identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate program adjustments.
- Ensure close coordination with other relevant initiatives in countries.
- Represent project team/WNISEF at conferences, working groups, and meetings to support WNISEF’s thought leadership in youth civic and economic engagement, pluralism and diversity, and overall civil society strengthening in the regions and in the national level.
- Provide regular written/oral program progress updates as requested.
- Ensure compliance with USAID, USG and GOU laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least 5 years of experience managing civil society strengthening and governance programs in a senior leadership and management role (Chief of Party, Project Director, Team Leader, etc.), including experience managing USAID programs.
- A master’s degree in a directly relevant field from an accredited university;
- At least 5 years of experience in relevant management, supervisory, technical experience working with programs that are of a similar scope and scale to this program;
- Demonstrated experience in civil society strengthening, positive youth development, media strengthening, or other relevant field;
- Experience in managing multi-country programs preferred;
- Experience managing complex donor-funded development programs in areas such as youth development, confidence building, civic engagement, inclusion, or related areas.
- Track record of successfully building and effectively managing diverse teams of employees;
- Ability to analyze complex, politically sensitive issues and ensure strategic program coherence in dynamic environments;
- Expertise in youth development, civic engagement, inclusion, and/or democracy development technical disciplines;
- Effective interpersonal skills, creative problem-solving, and outstanding judgement;
- Experience in Eastern Europe required, experience in Ukraine preferred;
- Knowledge of the political/social context in Ukraine, especially in the context of youth engagement preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as they relate to project and program compliance and reporting;
- Demonstrated experience working alongside project stakeholders to deliver impact within agreed timelines;
- Fluency in English required;
- Working knowledge of Ukrainian and/or Russian preferred.