The Kaizen Company is an incubator for innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. Our proven solutions catalyze locally-driven development and spur sustainable entrepreneurship and investments. We leverage existing knowledge, new technologies, local peer networks, and innovative business models to support local reforms that are sustained through market forces.
Since our inception, we have provided support to more than 200 government, private-sector, and non-profit organizations in emerging markets worldwide. We have created solutions that achieve outcomes across a broad range of sectors including education, health, finance, agriculture, governance, economic growth, energy and environment, and water.
Scope and Objectives
The Kaizen Company is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated USAID-funded contract, Strategic Investment for Inclusive Development (SIID) Activity in Uganda. SIID seeks to mobilize financing for investment (i.e. “additional” financing which otherwise would not have occurred) in support of USAID/Uganda’s targeted development objectives across sectors including agriculture and food security, energy, environment and biodiversity, health, and education. This Activity will facilitate domestic and international commercial investments that achieve the above development objectives. By unlocking commercially driven investment capital, SIID will contribute to Uganda’s journey to self-reliance, enhanced economic growth, improved health outcomes, quality employment and livelihoods, and better educational opportunities.
The COP will be primarily responsible for providing overall leadership and management of all aspects of the Contract.
Specific Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Providing strategic vision and overall leadership for contract implementation and management
- Supervising the work of all personnel assigned to tasks under the Contract
- Ensuring the provision of timely, relevant, high-quality services from both in-Uganda long-term staff and incoming short-term consultants
- Serving as the primary point of contact with USAID/Uganda and other implementers, key counterparts, and domestic and international stakeholders on a day-to-day basis
- Conceptualizing, delivering, and arranging for the consistent delivery of high-quality leadership and USAID/Uganda development objective interventions for facilitating commercial investments
- Lead and build coalitions among diverse stakeholders and private sector actors through innovative, sustainable, and tailored initiatives
- Ensuring timely information on the progress and status of all activities under the Contract, including but not limited to the accurate reporting on targets and achievements, the timely delivery of required reports in forms agreed to with USAID/Uganda; ensuring the USAID compliance and integrity of Contract operations
- A Master’s degree or higher in International Business, Finance, International Development, Economics, or other related fields
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a project team lead/senior management role, ideally working on complex donor-funded investment mechanism/activity projects
- Demonstrated technical and management expertise leading and overseeing private sector-driven services and interventions for domestic and international commercial investment initiatives.
- Experience establishing and building partner relations with host governments and regulatory agencies; and private sector stakeholders, including financial institutions, investor groups, commercial banks, credit agencies, and business associations
- Demonstrated experience in financial systems, commercial investment, public-private partnership facilitation, institutional capacity building, and private sector development.
- Experience living and working in developing country environments, preferably East Africa
- Fluent in both spoken and written English language
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and leading multidisciplinary teams and partners
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience managing USG-issued contracts or otherwise demonstrated knowledge of USG Federal Acquisition Requirements
- Sector-specific experience in the related sectors, including agriculture and food security, energy, environment and biodiversity, health, and education
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity of the Ugandan private sector and/or investment landscpae
- Experience facilitating investment partnerships on a regional East Africa-level
- Experience facilitating increased investments in women- and youth-owned businesses
About the Organization
The Kaizen Company (Kaizen) is a development consulting firm that cultivates innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. For more than a decade, Kaizen has brought innovation into the world of donor-funded international development in Africa, Central Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America/Caribbean, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia.
In parallel, Kaizen has been incubating innovations to scale through market forces to achieve development objectives without the need for donor funding. Our proven solutions catalyze locally driven organizational and institutional performance improvements and establish communities of practice that facilitate peer-to-peer learning and the achievement of shared goals.
We leverage existing knowledge, technology, and new media, and local peer networks to support local reforms. Since our inception, we have provided support to more than 100 government, private-sector, and non-profit organizations in markets worldwide.