Position: Chief of Party
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Adam Smith International is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies more stable, and governments more effective. Our clients are governments, international organisations, companies, and foundations. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that address the big challenges facing the world. As a company with experience of delivering lasting results, including in fragile states and where there is conflict, we are prepared to manage a high level of risk to achieve our purpose.
Adam Smith International is seeking candidates for the role of Chief of Party (COP) to provide leadership and management of a United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funded activity to support improved protected area management through the development of livelihoods in Liberia.
The COP supervises all technical and operational aspects of the activity and acts as the primary liaison with USAID in Liberia for technical and operational matters. The COP will be responsible for setting the vision for the activity and leading a multidisciplinary team to engage with government, donor and community stakeholders. The COP will coordinate day-to-day implementation and all management matters relating to the contract.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Providing written inputs and quality control of all technical reports and plans
- Developing annual workplans that cover both livelihoods and conservation works;
- Managing client communications to ensure positive relationship and solid understanding of ASI’s technical and management capabilities
- Building a high-performing team by rewarding excellence, management of complexity and teamwork and building a culture conducive to performance
- Managing team members, including highly specialized technical staff, to deliver against the annual workplan
- Building a positive working environment for all team members and ensuring any issues are resolved
- Providing leadership on ethics and behaviours that ASI expects from all consultants
- Delegate responsibility and ensure capacity across all staff to deliver both technical and operational matters
- Liaise with ASI colleagues to coordinate the inputs of gender and inclusion, monitoring and evaluation and other advisory inputs to provide cross-cutting support
- Driving stakeholder engagement and pushing forward on a number of strategic policy projects with various institutions within the Government of Liberia
Timing and level of effort
The role will start no earlier than June 2021 and last for up to 5 years. The role is full time.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant subject (agriculture, conservation etc.)
- At least 10 years’ experience in a leadership role
- Experience living and work in West Africa strongly preferred
- Experience in leadership or deputy leadership roles on similar programs
- Fluency in English
Ready to Apply?
Interested applicants should send their CV and cover letter to email@example.com no later than Friday, May 7, 2021. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Adam Smith International is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies safer, and governments more effective. We work on behalf of governments, foundations and companies that share our ambition to take on the big challenges facing the world. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that, in turn, stimulate growth, stability and good governance.
For nearly three decades in almost 100 countries, we have been working in partnership with governments, the private sector and civil society in countries at all stages of development.
Our core team of staff and technical experts, in multiple offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of specialist experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed.
ASI is owned and operated by its employees. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance.