Enterprise Collaboratory at Arizona State University (ECASU) Morocco is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded cooperative agreement, Higher Education Partnership- Morocco (HEP-M). As part of HEP-M, the individual will support Moroccan faculty in enhancing primary teacher preparation through a comprehensive, systems approach that bestows an undergraduate degree (license) in primary teaching and associated two-year training intended to equip teacher candidates with the skills necessary to succeed in a primary classroom (qualifications). The degree will reference international standards in inclusive education and will pay particular attention to issues of gender equity. HEP-M operates as a consultative and collaborative body that deploys research and development groups through which Higher Education Partnership–Morocco will build the systems redesign and networks that will sustain impact beyond the life of this five-year activity.
The Chief of Party (COP) will serve as an in-country manager for the project. Under the direction of the Project Director at Arizona State University, the COP will direct the project staff based in Morocco, maintain communication between all partners, and guide project activities in accordance with the ASU work plan and overall project objectives. The COP will also interface regularly with USAID and HEP-M stakeholders and partners.
With administrative oversight from the home office (Arizona State University), essential responsibilities will include and not be limited to the following:
● Provide support in the areas of strategic planning; operational effectiveness; and policy and procedure development.
● Provide guidance and support for project implementation to the field office staff and implementing partners.
● Provide guidance and information to project team members to support planning, reporting, decision making, and risk analysis.
● Resolve problems and issues affecting the project and direct measures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the project.
● As authorized by the ASU Project Director, directly liaise with USAID, the Ministry of Education, and other partners, as required, to implement project activities.
● Develop and manage relationships with external partner organizations including academic partners, industry partners, community, and others in support of HEP-M’s strategic goals.
● Organize and facilitate various capacity development activities to support the project’s goals.
● Contribute content and draft as appropriate written materials, such as reports, newsletters, and brochures.
● Submit weekly status reports to HEP-M Project Director related to approved activities.
● Provide support to other staff which may include carrying out tasks outside of scope of work, when needed, to support project implementation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
● Evidence of strong communication skills in Modern Standard Arabic and English, both spoken and written.
● Project management experience in managing multilateral institutional projects funded by NGOs, industry, or government agencies.
● Experience in traveling to and working on international projects, e.g.: Africa, Middle East.
● Demonstrated skill in developing and communicating a common vision among diverse partners, developing stakeholder networks, and establishing pathways for successful communication and coordination across stakeholder organizations.
● Demonstrated skills in performance monitoring, the planning and implementation of gap assessments for continuous learning and performance improvement, and outreach to further enhance project impact.
● Demonstrated leadership in the administration of international development projects with skills in strategic planning, business development, management, supervision, budgeting, and delivery of presentations.
● Experience in prioritizing and handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
● Evidence of superior analytical, communications, organizational and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to clarify roles and responsibilities to ensure understanding of expectations; taking action to mitigate conflict.
In this position, a successful candidate must:
● Reside in Morocco and work full-time in the field office during their time working in this capacity.
● Interact with officials from the Ministry of Education, administrators and faculty working at ASU and at Moroccan universities, and other stakeholders both virtually (e.g., Zoom) and in-person, as appropriate.
● Regularly use standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
● Be available to travel to locations within Morocco, as approved by the Project Director.
● Be available to travel to Arizona, USA (i.e., ASU).
The COP will report to the HEP-M Project Director, at ASU, on all programmatic aspects of their employment, including but not limited, to job description, duties, qualifications, working environment, and performance.
● Master’s degree in International Development Education, Education Leadership and Policy, Teacher Education, Public Administration, or another relevant area.
● Minimum of seven (7) years or professional experience in the successful implementation of human and institutional capacity development programs.
● Minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in teacher preparation and/or in-service teachers professional development.
● Ph.D. degree in International Development Education, Education Leadership and Policy, Teacher Education, Public Administration, or another relevant area.
● Experience working in primary teacher preparation