Chemonics seeks a chief of party for the anticipated Afghanistan Market-Based Jobs for Peace (MJP) program. The purpose of this project is to address the pervasive widespread unemployment within the context of returning refugee and IDP populations in post-conflict environments, specifically by: creating sustainable private sector jobs in rural and peri-urban regions; improving workforce skills for employment, self-employment, and entrepreneurship; and enhancing the overall competitiveness of Afghan value chains. The MJP economic empowerment initiatives will target youth, women, internally displaced persons, returnees, and former combatants in rural and peri-urban areas. This position is based in Kabul, Afghanistan. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall project leadership, management, and technical direction
- Supervise technical and administrative staff
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID, the host-country government, and local and regional partners
- Ensure that all project assistance is technically sound, appropriate, and aligned with the program’s long-term vision
- Direct implementation of the project’s strategic long-term vision
- Oversees work planning, performance management, and strategic communications
- Advanced degree in international development, conflict resolution, finance, business, economic development, or a related field preferred
- Experience working in Afghanistan preferred, but not required
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in managing and implementing development projects of similar size and scope, preferably including experience in a conflict or post-conflict environment with populations similar to those MJP seeks to support
- Experience working with communities in challenging environments to create employment opportunities and jobs, strengthen workforce-related skills and abilities, and enhance the competitiveness of value chains and otherwise engage marginalized populations in economic opportunities
- Demonstrated experience establishing inclusive economic empowerment initiatives, ideally within a conflict or post-conflict setting
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with civil society organizations to identify community needs, improve the enabling environment for investment and private sector progression, and attract investment into rural value chains
- Strong facilitation, communication, collaboration, and leadership skills
- Experience with adaptive management approaches
- Personnel and resource management, coordination, and decision-making skills along with an ability to troubleshoot
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Please apply through MJPRecruit@Chemonics.com with the relevant position title in the subject line of the email by March 31, 2020 COB. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.
Chemonics International is a leading international development consulting firm based in Washington, D.C. with more than 40 years of experience implementing programs around the world.