FHI 360 is seeking qualified Chief of Party (COP) candidates for an anticipated USAID project focused on women’s economic empowerment and creating enabling environment for women to enter the formal economy in Afghanistan. The COP will serve as the project’s technical and administrative director, overseeing all aspects of award compliance, project finance and operations, strategic direction, coordinated implementation of activities, and timely submission of high-quality reports and deliverables. The COP will provide technical direction and quality oversight for the design and implementation of activities that increase the job readiness, technical skills training, internships, apprenticeships, job placements and access to finance in areas impacted by violence and displaced populations. This individual will guide the development and implementation of strategies to ensure the availability of appropriate systems to support services for women job seekers and business owners to improve their knowledge and skills and improve access to job market. The COP will oversee a core project team that includes senior technical, monitoring and evaluation, finance, and operations personnel, and will serve as primary liaison with USAID, government counterparts, and key stakeholder representatives.
- Provide technical direction and oversight of project activities;
- Maintain positive relations with the client, government counterparts, and program partners;
- Promote clear and constructive communications with the client to ensure a shared vision for project activities and outcomes, address implementation challenges, and encourage the sharing of best practices and project successes;
- Ensure project activities are compliant with the approved work plan and that project results are aligned with the project monitoring plan;
- Ensure the accuracy and technical quality of all project deliverables, including periodic performance reports, financial and technical reports, training materials, and instructional materials;
- Supervise in-country project personnel, including senior technical, finance, and operations personnel; and
- Engage corporate support units (in country and at corporate headquarters) for technical and administrative support, as needed.
- Master’s degree in international development, political economy, economic development, women’s studies or related field;
- 10 years of relevant project management experience providing technical leadership to major donor funded economic growth projects;
- 5 years of senior project leadership of USAID or US Government funded projects;
- Technical and/or project management experience in the economic growth and women advocacy sector in Afghanistan or similar environment preferred;
- Demonstrated understanding of USAID rules and regulations, as well as project compliance;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with USAID and international donors, government counterparts, and project stakeholders;
- Proven ability to work and manage activities in challenging environments, specifically locations with shifting security and uncertain political contexts;
- Experience working in implementing economic growth projects in fragile environments with proven adaptive management capabilities;
- Expertise and experience in women’s economic empowerment areas such as gender equality and social inclusion, entrepreneurship, workforce development and private sector development;
- Excellent team building and supervisory skills; and
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.