Venture37 seeks qualified Chief of Party (COP) candidates for anticipated projects in francophone African countries, especially in the Central and West Africa regions. These projects may be funded by US government (USAID or USDA) or other donors. Venture37 seeks COP candidates with both technical expertise and managerial experience with efficient operations that provide value for money to donors. Project technical areas include agriculture in general, agriculture market systems, crop production, crop protection, smallholder production and marketing, livestock (including small farm animals) and dairy. Venture37 also seeks candidates who are forward thinking in managing efficient project operations, using and championing technologies, and implementing cost-effective project management approaches.
- Provide strategic vision, overall leadership and technical direction to project.
- Ensure effective and efficient performance for all aspects of award requirements.
- Ensure successful project implementation and achievement of results on time and within budget.
- Provide overall coordination for the project and ensure operational harmony with relevant stakeholders and partners in the public and private sector.
- Serve as the main point of contact with donors and donor representatives.
- Promote strong relationships with all stakeholders via effective networking, linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening of implementing partners and organizations.
- Manage quality control and reporting on progress and results.
- Ensure timely, high-quality, and complete submission of work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and any other reports required by donor.
- Oversee budgets and financial accounting and work with headquarters staff on compliance development of budgets and pipeline analyses.
- Responsible for overall management for project results.
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in full compliance with Venture37 standard operating procedures, donor policies and regulations, and national policies and laws.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Post-graduate degree in agribusiness, international development, economics, business management, agricultural or rural development, or other relevant field.
- At least 8 years of demonstrated senior management experience in managing agricultural development programs is required.
- Previous experience serving as Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party on a US Government funded project
- Extensive experience and/or technical knowledge in designing, managing and evaluating development projects and activities, including experience in portfolio management and implementation, particularly related to agricultural development.
- Demonstrated experience managing agricultural training and extension programs a must.
- Experience in modern extension methods for the commercialization of smallholder farmers for increased profits through value chain development is required.
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative across projects, flexible, and creative and successfully lead an intercultural team in development and post-conflict context.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in financial planning and management, human resources, and procurement, among other management support areas/functions
- Experience managing agricultural education, sustainable development, or volunteer programs preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence. Excellent interpersonal and written and oral presentation skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English and French required.
- Excellent leadership skills including the ability to build and manage cooperative high-level relationships and motivate subordinates
- Experience managing donor funded programs preferably in francophone Africa preferred.
- Experience managing projects under various mechanisms (e.g. contracts, grants, cooperative agreements)
About the Organization
Since 1981, Land O’Lakes Venture37 has applied an integrated approach to international economic development that capitalizes on Land O'Lakes, Inc.'s nearly 100 years as a leading farm-to-market agribusiness. We use our practical experience and in-depth knowledge to facilitate market-driven business solutions that generate economic growth, improve health and nutrition, and alleviate poverty. We believe in the value of people and ensuring our work is rooted in honesty, integrity and respect.
As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, our vision is to be a global leader in transforming lives by engaging in agriculture and enterprise partnerships that replace poverty with prosperity, and dependency with self-reliance. Since our inception, we have implemented nearly 300 programs and training initiatives in over 80 countries, which have enabled farmers and agribusinesses to become more profitable and to leverage economies of scale through well-functioning cooperatives and producer groups.