Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For nearly 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions.
Counterpart International is seeking a Chief of Party for a 4-year, $12.5 million Northern Mali Development program in Mali. The program aims to support the consolidation of peace, reconciliation and development in northern Mali and ultimately increase citizens’ confidence in Government. By responding to community needs through tangible development investments, the NOMADE program seeks to measurably increase the legitimacy of both local and central Malian governments through meaningful civic engagement. As Chief of Party, this position will represent Counterpart to USAID, local and national Malian Government authorities, local NGOs, local community members and other relevant donor organizations in Mali. Representation will include regular meetings and other events inside and outside of Mali, as appropriate. The Chief of Party is responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short time frames while ensuring operational and program integrity. In close consultation with the AOR, the COP is responsible for providing oversight of grant activities, including supervision of the program staff, ensuring appropriate grant design, ensuring that procedures are established and complied with for grant development, grant implementation, management, monitoring, evaluation, and grant closing in compliance with organizational policies and donor rules and regulations as well as ensuring the quality of performance in meeting the small grant undertakings in this program. The Chief of Party must be able to travel to Northern Mali, security permitting.
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience in international development with 6 or more years of senior management experience, preferably in West Africa.
- Chief or Deputy Chief of Party experience.
- Previous experience working on rapid transition programs in insecure environments.
- Master’s Degree in Management, Political Science, International Development or a relevant field of study.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID development approaches, techniques and a deep understanding of community-level civic engagement.
- Understanding of USAID rules and regulations and mandatory reporting requirements.
- Experience managing complex USAID programs with sub-grants and small-scale infrastructure is highly desired.
- Prior experience designing, implementing, managing, monitoring, evaluating, and closing small grants.
- Demonstrated knowledge of civil society, civic engagement, gender and youth.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills, to meet the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of regional stakeholders.
- Knowledge of French is strongly preferred.
Counterpart is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply.