Abt Associates, a major international research, technical assistance, and consulting company, seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates for upcoming global USAID Artisanal Mining and Property Rights programs focusing on West Africa. These programs aim to formalize and strengthen the artisanal and small scale mining (ASM) sector by promoting responsible mining, alternative livelihoods, and environmental rehabilitation.
Seeking a committed and mission driven COP who is interested in making a distinctive impact in the development of the ASM sector. This position is contingent upon project award.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, supervision, and direction to the project teams, subcontractors and consultants;
- Act as primary liaison to donors, oversee all engagement with local counterpart institutions, local subcontractors and/or grantees.
- Assume overall responsibility for the establishment and efficient operation of administrative, personnel, financial, and management systems;
- Coordinate the preparation of project work plans with stakeholders, as appropriate;
- Prepare or approve all scopes of work and timetables for the design and implementation of program activities;
- Monitor, evaluate, and report on project performance and progress;
- Oversee all administrative requirements and development of training plans, and collaborate
- Prepare periodic reports, and the final report for submission, in collaboration with project team and stakeholders
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Minimum of a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in social sciences, international development, public policy or natural resource management.
- At least ten years’ experience and/or technical knowledge in designing, managing and evaluating development projects and activities, preferably in artisanal mining, natural resources management and/or property rights.
- Experience managing complex projects, including initiating and managing consultation processes
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably with many types of people including donors, officials from various levels of governments, local civil society representatives, private sector entities, miners.
- Experience with USAID and/or European donor funding contracts;
- Experience in post conflict environments, preferably in Francophone Africa;
- Candidate must have excellent English and French writing and speaking ability.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com