Job Title: Chief of Party I, Azure
Report to: LACRO DRDPQ with additional reporting to Impact Investing Team
Country/Location: Central American Country
THE AZURE INITIATIVE (AZURE) IS A BLENDED FINANCING INITIATIVE THAT COMBINES DIRECT
TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO LOCAL WATER SERVICE PROVIDERS WITH IMPROVED ACCESS TO LOAN
FINANCING TO SUPPORT THEIR EXPANSION. IT IS COMPRISED OF TWO INTEGRATED COMPONENTS:
1) AZURE TECHNICAL SERVICES (ATS), A TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FACILITY LED BY CRS, PROVIDES
ENGINEERING, PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND COMMERCIAL AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT TO WATER AND
SANITATION SERVICE OPERATORS WHILE ENGAGING FINANCIAL ACTORS TO BETTER UNDERSTAND
THE INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY IN THE WATER SECTOR; AND 2) AZURE SOURCE CAPITAL, LLC
(ASC), A FINANCIAL COMPANY BASED IN THE U.S., PROVIDES LOAN CAPITAL TO IMPROVE OR
EXPAND WATER AND SANITATION INFRASTRUCTURE. ASC WAS FOUNDED BY CRS AND IDB/LAB, AND
IS MANAGED BY TOTAL IMPACT CAPITAL. AZURE IS CURRENTLY ACTIVE IN EL SALVADOR
(WHERE TECHNICAL SERVICES ARE IMPLEMENTED BY AZURE S.A., A LOCAL SOCIAL ENTERPRISE),
IMPLEMENTING FEASIBILITY STUDIES IN HONDURAS, AND PLANNING ITS EXPANSION TO OTHER
COUNTRIES GLOBALLY, BEGINNING IN CENTRAL AMERICA, THE CARIBBEAN AND AFRICA. AZURE IS
ALIGNED TO THE CRS GLOBAL STRATEGY AND VISION 2030, AND FOCUSED ON OBJECTIVE 3,
WHICH SEEKS THAT ALL PEOPLE ACHIEVE DIGNIFIED AND RESILIENT LIVELIHOODS IN FLOURISHING
ENVIRONMENTS. IT IS ALSO A KEY INITIATIVE WITHIN THE RECENTLY RELEASED CRS WATER
SECURITY FOR 2030 STRATEGY, WHICH INCLUDES A FOCUS ON WATER FINANCING AND GOVERNANCE.
AS CHIEF OF PARTY FOR THE AZURE INITIATIVE, YOU WILL OVERSEE ITS TECHNICAL SERVICES
COMPONENT AND DIRECT PLANNING EFFORTS IN COLLABORATION WITH THE ASC FUND MANAGER FOR
THE EXPANSION OF AZURE TO INTERESTED AND AFFILIATED COUNTRIES. YOUR LEADERSHIP,
MANAGEMENT AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE WILL ENSURE THE DELIVERY OF HIGH-QUALITY PROGRAM
DESIGN AND ADVANCE THE POSITION OF CRS AS A LEAD AGENCY IN WATER SYSTEM FINANCE.
YOU WILL PROVIDE TECHNICAL LEADERSHIP AND ADVICE IN LINE WITH CRS PRINCIPLES AND
QUALITY STANDARDS AND WILL LIAISE WITH THE ASC FUND MANAGER TO ENSURE A COHESIVE
STRATEGY TO GROW THE BLENDED FINANCING INITIATIVE. YOUR EXPERIENCE, LEADERSHIP AND
INFLUENCE WILL BE KEY IN DETERMINING HOW EFFECTIVE, ADAPTABLE AND INNOVATIVE THE AZURE
INITIATIVE WILL BE AS IT EXPANDS AND IS IMPLEMENTED IN INTERESTED AND AFFILIATED
- Plan and execute the expansion of the Azure initiative to other countries / regions in collaboration with HQ, country and regional teams
- Provide technical and strategic leadership to the countries interested in or affiliated to the initiative, guiding their progress through the 4 phases identified:
1) Exploratory, 2) Start-up, 3) Implementation and 4) Scale
- Support CRS staff, consultants and partners to evaluate financial and business models that best respond to the needs of water service providers in each interested and affiliated country.
- Manage resources to create an optimal ecosystem for the success of the initiative, strategically linking the interests of governments, donors, financial institutions and other entities interested in blended financing vehicles, and focusing on the use of these multi-sectoral funds for sustainability of the initiative.
- Lead identification of implementing partners and potential sources of philanthropic capital for expansion of technical services in interested and affiliated countries and support the development of proposals for funding.
- Support the different countries in the selection and hiring processes of personnel related to the initiative.
- Collect data and relevant information from each country, making strategic use of this data, both for monitoring progress, and to identify the best investment opportunities for resources.
- Lead the development of learning - identify opportunities for learning, research and publications and implementation of MEAL policy. Facilitate the dissemination of promising practices and lessons learned to contribute to the agency knowledge management agenda. Ensure integration of innovations and best practices.
- Represent CRS in international impact investing and water finance fora.
Background, Experience and Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Development, International Relations or a relevant technical area.
- Highly qualified professional with 5 years’ experience leading market-based water utility initiatives in resource-challenged contexts.
- 7 or more years’ relevant management and technical experience. Preferably, a minimum of 10 years of experience.
- 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching senior program staff.
- Experience in managing development initiatives with the private and public sectors and organizations interested in local, national and regional development.
- History of contributing significantly to successful business development activities by capturing funding from public and/or private donors.
- Experience and ability in the field of government advocacy, donors, investors and other actors.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation of initiatives and analysis and presentation of data to different audiences focusing on specific advocacy outcomes.
- Demonstrable experience and skills to represent the organization at the highest levels in meetings with donors, government, international NGOs, local partners, ecclesial and civil society.
- Mastery of MS Office packages (Excel, Word, Power Point), Online Conference applications and solid understanding of information systems and budget management and knowledge sharing networks.
- Excellent skills for managing relationships with the ability to influence and get agreements from people who are not under their direct supervision and to work with individuals in different geographical and cultural environments.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, organizational and systemic thinking skills with the ability to see the full picture and the ability to make judgments and correct decisions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including research publications.
- Excellent presentation, facilitation, training and negotiation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
PROFESSIONAL FLUENCY IN BOTH WRITTEN AND SPOKEN ENGLISH AND SPANISH
Availability to travel: at least 50% primarily within Central America and the Caribbean, as well as Africa, and other parts of the world as needed.
Key Working Relationships:
SUPERVISION: LACRO DRDPQ
INTERNAL: CRS FOCAL POINTS FOR WATER AT THE GLOBAL, REGIONAL AND CP LEVEL AS APPROPRIATE; IMPACT INVESTING TEAM
EXTERNAL: ASC FUND MANAGER, AZURE SA, PARTNERS, STRATEGIC ALLIES
Institutional Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the vision, values and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill their responsibilities and achieve the desired result.
- Strategic Mentality
- Accountability and Stewardship
- Build relationships
- Develop Talent
- Constant Improvement and Innovation
DISCLAIMER:THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF THE SKILL, EFFORT, OBLIGATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES RELATED TO THE POSITION.
The CRS talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer