CARE seeks a Chief of Party for an anticipated Multipurpose Disaster Shelter Support (MPDS) Activity. This is expected to be a $13 million, four-year cooperative agreement that aims to mitigate the impacts of natural disaster through construction of shelters and resilient community infrastructures, increase access to spaces conducive to learning and cohesive communities, and strengthen disaster preparedness.
The Chief of Party is accountable for the overall vision and leadership of the project and is accountable for delivering results. The successful candidate should possess significant experience managing program, financial, and operations of USAID- or other international donor-funded projects.
The activity is expected to be awarded in September 2020. This position is subject to project award and funding. International relocation and allowances may be available.
· Oversee the completion of all technical requirements, including project results and deliverables, in accordance with the project work plan.
· Build and maintain productive working relationships with USAID, project partners, and key stakeholders. Serve as the primary liaison among all project stakeholders.
· Manage the project’s operational, financial, and administrative priorities; direct the planning and budgeting processes. Create or adapt management systems in line with CARE’s standard operating procedures, ensuring consistency with project needs.
· Build partnerships among international -, national- and community-level stakeholders
· Design and oversee an annual project cycle in accordance with USAID’s annual planning cycles
· With staff and partners, translate project goals and objectives into implementable strategies and plans. Oversee the preparation of quarterly and annual project activity reports, M&E reports, and other deliverables, as specified in the agreement. Report against the project’s targets.
· Represent the project at high-level meetings, conferences, and other fora.
· Guide team members to fulfill the project’s strategic goals and objectives.
· Supervise and mentor senior staff, delegating responsibilities as appropriate. Clearly communicate expectations for staff performance.
· Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, development studies or disaster management; Master’s degree preferred.
· Minimum of 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in international development project management; previous Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, or senior management experience in disaster risk reduction and humanitarian assistance shelter construction.
· Prior USAID program management experience required
· Experience with the following technical areas: Design and implementation of shelter and civil construction work in disaster context; disaster risk reduction (DRR) /disaster preparedness /climate risk management; integration of gender and inclusion in construction and DRR work; and community engagement and participation.
· Proven exceptional leadership in the design, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of similar-sized international donor-supported programs, with skills in strategic planning and thinking, management, supervision and budgeting, and experience managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple program partner institutions.
· Demonstrated skills building and maintaining relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
· Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills.
· Demonstrated commitment to gender equity and inclusion.
· Experience in recruiting, developing, and managing staff and teams.
· Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
· Experience in managing required programmatic and financial reporting requirements. Experience with M&E is a plus.
· Fluency in English (spoken and written) is required.
· Ability to travel within Bangladesh as required.