DI is seeking a Chief of Party (CoP) to provide technical, programmatic, and management leadership in the event of project award of the USAID/Bangladesh Promoting Peace and Justice (PPJ) to DI. The PPJ project aims to improve the delivery of legal aid in the formal justice sector, improve the case management capability of the judiciary, and increase citizen awareness of their legal rights and responsibilities. The project seeks to work with legal aid delivery organizations, judges and judicial staff, and vulnerable groups to improve access to and delivery of services in Bangladesh.
The position would be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and would be contingent upon project award to DI.
- Oversee the DI project and team in country while serving as the primary point of contact with USAID/Bangladesh regarding to day-to-day implementation and management of the cooperative agreement. Work closely with USAID’s COR and other field staff to manage all awardees and activities;
- Provide overall technical vision, direction, leadership, and management for the project. Ensure quality control and the appropriateness of all activities under the project;
- Manage a diverse team of project staff throughout Bangladesh, and provide technical assistance, as needed, to program partners, grantees, and beneficiaries;
- Oversee the management and implementation of financial tracking systems and coordinate and monitor project budgets to ensure all expenditures are in compliance with DI and donor regulations and within the scope of the program’s long-term budget;
- Develop regular reports and ongoing activity monitoring consistent with the requirements of DI’s cooperative agreement with USAID and with internal reporting requirements. Manage the preparation and presentation of all work plans, M&E plans, and reports;
- Represent DI externally at meetings, workshops, and other events; and
- Act as a key liaison with the host country government and USAID offices in Bangladesh and Washington, DC in the areas of oversight, reporting, and compliance.
- Advanced university degree in Law, social science, international development, political science, or other relevant field;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in project support and oversight, including managing programs in transitional or developing environments, managing teams, grant-making, and budget oversight;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in PPJ, political transition, stabilization, conflict mitigation, advocacy, rule of law, access to justice, or strengthening of civil society;
- Demonstrated experience working with judiciaries, local administration authorities, and government ministries.
- Experience with USAID and U.S. State Department compliance and reporting requirements as well as a thorough understanding of the USAID and U.S. State Department regulatory environment. Experience managing large programs with sub-award components;
- Experience working in high threat security environments and leading politically sensitive activities.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Experience in Bangladesh desirable;
- Professional fluency in English is required.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and a writing sample to DI. Incomplete applications will not be considered. We will only contact those candidates who best meet our needs. No phone calls or additional emails please.
About the Organization
Democracy International, Inc. (DI) provides technical assistance, analytical services, project implementation, and monitoring and evaluation for democracy, human rights, governance, conflict mitigation, and other programs worldwide for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. State Department, and other development partners. Since its founding in 2003, Democracy International has worked with civil society organizations, political parties, election-management bodies, government agencies, legislatures, justice-sector institutions, and others in 70 countries. DI is an equal opportunity employer.