Chemonics seeks a chief of party for the anticipated USAID Frontier Health Markets Business Support Facility activity. Frontier Health Markets is a proposed suite of multiple activities with the objective of increasing private health sector contributions to advancing voluntary family planning and other health outcomes, including maternal, newborn and child health, malaria, TB, and HIV/AIDS in lower- and middle-income countries. Activity 4, Business Support Facility, aims to build capacity of local market actors and innovators in the health sector with business skills development. It will support the beneficiaries of the Private Sector Capital Fund and other local businesses to scale tested models, launch new service delivery lines and products, expand to new markets, and foster innovation. In addition, this activity will collaborate with the Private Sector Capital Fund to improve strategic planning, business processes, and capabilities of private health sector players to improve access to private financing. This will be achieved through innovative strategies and approaches to addressing key market constraints and barriers that inhibit the functioning of local markets in mixed health systems.
The chief of party will bear primary responsibility for the overall technical and managerial requirements of program performance and will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the global project and any regional components. We are looking for individuals who have demonstrated expertise building the capacity of and supporting start-ups in achieving scale and growth as well as experience building relationships with and educating investors on the role and importance of social impact investments to make a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall program leadership, strategy development, management, and oversight, and drive the technical direction for anticipated large, complex, multi-country business support and innovation activity in the global health sector
- Serve as primary liaison to USAID, implementing partners, host country governments, project stakeholders, and counterparts in the public and private sectors
- Provide overall leadership and supervision of senior management team, technical and administrative staff, and sub-awardees
- Responsible for the overall strategy and direct implementation of project activities and liaises with regional components and project teams to ensure technical coordination
- Lead the strategic engagement of the private sector and investment community in program activities, including building relationships, convening stakeholders throughout the global health ecosystem, and leveraging potential for blended finance and investment opportunities
- Build the capacity of health focused start-ups through engagement with private sector stakeholders and investors to scale their growth
- Oversee program work planning, budget, performance management, monitoring and evaluation, and strategic communications to ensure that all project assistance is technically sound and appropriate
- Identify and mitigate potential issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner and drive appropriate program adjustments
- Advanced degree in health sciences or business management e.g. public health, finance, partnership management, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum eight years of professional experience managing large, complex projects in developing countries, with at least five years of experience working on private sector engagement programming
- Minimum five years of experience working with or in start-ups and/or venture financing institutions
- Demonstrated thought leadership in scaling and building the capacity of start-ups, understanding of the start-up ecosystem, private sector engagement, deal-making and/or innovative financing; related experience in global health sector preferred
- Experience leading large teams and managing centrally based and globally implemented programs that achieve results
- Track record of progressive responsibility, including at least eight years providing senior-level leadership (e.g., Project Director, Chief of Party, Deputy Director) to programs of similar scale, scope, and complexity
- Strong ability to collaborate and build partnerships with host country governments, U.S. government agencies, donor agencies, international organizations, and the private sector
- Strong knowledge of the start-up, business, and investor lifecycle
- Fluent English verbal and written communication skills is required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Ability to interact professionally in a foreign language (especially French, Spanish, or Portuguese) is preferred, but not required
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.
Chemonics International is a leading international development consulting firm based in Washington, D.C. with more than 40 years of experience implementing programs around the world.