The anticipated USAID Tanzania C3HP RMNCAH Activity seeks to increase the demand for and use of quality integrated RMNCAH services in target regions, particularly women of reproductive age, youth and children, by improving access to quality RMNCAH services in both facilities and the surrounding communities, promoting positive health-seeking behaviors among Tanzania’s population, and enhancing the overall policy environment for RMNCAH service delivery.
The COP’s primary responsibilities are aimed at providing overall leadership and technical direction of the entire project activity, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the project’s scope of work. The COP has the final authority within the project team for decisions related to technical, management, contractual, resource allocation and personnel issues. The COP will be accountable for the successful implementation of all aspects of the project. In carrying out these responsibilities the COP works in partnership with USAID and national and local government agencies and officials, local national and community level organizations and other partners, and project staff.
The position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic direction and technical leadership to produce project results and deliverables, and overall management of the technical, operational, financial, and administrative aspects of the project
- Functions as the primary liaison between USAID, Ministries of Health, local national organizations and other partners and stakeholders
- Creates management systems in line with Abt standard operating procedures consistent with the needs of the project
- Designs and oversees the project annual work plan in accordance with the USAID annual planning cycle
- Works closely with the project team to set the technical vision for the entire project, with specific attention to meeting set goals based on project design and work plan
- Directs and oversees planning and budgeting processes
- Monitors the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high quality work and internal control
- Supervises the work and assesses the performance of all long term and short term advisors, consultants and staff
- Clarifies roles, delegates responsibilities to senior staff, and clearly communicates expectations for staff contribution to project activities
- Identifies issues and risks related to activity implementation in a timely manner, and suggests appropriate activity adjustments
- Manages and supervises project staff and partners in the identification of all the project’s technical assistance needs, development of suitable scopes of work, recruitment of consultants, and execution of technical assistance contracts
- Maintains productive working relationships with USAID clients, project partners and key counterparts, and reports to the Portfolio Manager in Abt Associates’ home office
- Master’s degree in Public Health, International Development, or relevant field and at least 15 years of senior-level international project management experience in designing, implementing and managing large, complex service delivery programs in developing countries
- Prior experience successfully implementing donor-funded programs with wide geographic reach; prior USAID COP experience highly preferred
- Experience in the Eastern Africa region required and in Tanzania preferred, including thorough knowledge of specific health priorities, deep knowledge of geo-political, ethnic, cultural, and other factors affecting regional programming
- Demonstrated capacity to manage complex service delivery programs in a low resource, low infrastructure setting required
- Extensive expertise in FP/RH and MNCH
- Demonstrated success in managing relationships with key stakeholders, including USAID, national and local officials, public, private and civil society partners to assure effective collaboration among stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary, multicultural teams, manage complex programs, and ensure that project staff adhere to the highest standards of quality, relevance, and timeliness
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Fluency in English required
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.