In May 2020, Proximity was awarded the USAID Accountability and Research Team (ART) activity. The purpose of the ART is to: 1) establish a third-party monitoring (TPM) system to independently monitor, verify, and analyze the results of assistance activities in Syria funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID’s) Middle East Bureau (MEB); 2) provide high quality research and analysis (R&A) services to inform USAID/MEB strategy, project, and activity design and implementation; and 3) strengthen the capacity of USAID/MEB and implementing partners’ (IPs) staff to improve performance monitoring and data analysis. ART will increase USAID/MEB’s understanding of the outputs, progress, challenges, successes, and lessons learned in regard to USAID/MEB activities in Syria.
Proximity is now seeking a chief of party (COP) to lead this ongoing project. Based in Amman, Jordan, the COP will play a key role in the successful management, leadership, and delivery of ART. The COP will be responsible for the quality and timeliness of deliverables, external representation, and coordination with the USAID Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR). S/he will be responsible for managing relationships with USAID and program stakeholders, leading technical and operational implementation, ensuring timely delivery of all program components at a high quality, and managing a network of qualified professionals to serve as short-term technical advisors. The COP will engage with USAID staff to inform their decision making process in regards to stabilization efforts in Syria, he/she will provide strategic vision for managing program activities and will ensure the quality of work and compliance with contractual obligations and results, and will be responsible for the quality and performance of work that is subcontracted to other partners.
The COP will report to Proximity’s Director of Programs at Proximity’s headquarters, and will oversee the Syria ART Jordan-based team, including a technical Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), multiple component leads, and a network of field staff and subcontractors.
● Responsible for daily oversight and technical direction of project activities, including monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) activities; knowledge management and analytical activities;
● Provide overall leadership, management, and general technical direction of the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors and a focus on achieving the results defined in the award
● Provides oversight of all administrative, operational and financial matters, in line Proximity’s policies and procedures and consistent with client’s regulations;
● Provide regular, timely and accurate reporting to USAID on all program areas;
● Manage external relationships and oversee collaboration with other USAID and donor-funded programs and local stakeholders
● Supervise the recruitment, hiring, and supervision of all local staff and consultants; and
● Manages project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development and solicits constructive staff input.
● At least 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience in international development.
● At least 8 years previous experience as a COP or senior team leader with a proven track record of managing large, complex, multi-partner programs.
● Strategic thinker, familiarity with the Syria complexities and exposure to managing remote staff, logistics, technical deliverables, and client requirements.
● Articulate and engaging presenter with experience briefing the U.S. government interagency, senior officials, Mission leadership, and donor leaders to provide succinct, accurate, and compelling data to provide status updates, recommendations, and other information.
● Highly familiar with the design, management, and implementation of monitoring, evaluation, analysis, research, and learning (MEL) systems for complex assistance platforms.
● Strong leadership and team management skills that empowers each team member to achieve their potential with a focus on capacity building of the Contractor’s team and improved outputs.
● Master’s degree in a relevant field such as sociology, statistics, international development, anthropology, economics, or other relevant or equivalent field is preferred.
● Experience working on Middle East/North Africa (MENA) programs for USAID, Department of State, the UN or other international donors. Candidates with previous/recent experience in Syria will be prioritized.
● Excellent technical and writing skills, with proven ability to lead the design and production of reports, proposals, research protocols, technical briefs, abstracts, articles, and to present findings.
● Successful track record in gaining support from staff and stakeholders across teams and building the capacity of others.
● Ability to be based full-time in Amman, Jordan.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required; Arabic language proficiency a plus.
To apply to this position, kindly submit your CV by November 15, 2020
Your application MUST follow the below instructions:
· This is an exciting opportunity, let us know why you think you are a GREAT candidate in 180 words (in the body of the email, NO COVER LETTER).
· Send your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
· The subject line of your email should state: ART COP_YOUR NAME
· 3 references (can also be listed in the body of your email)
Candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted on rolling basis.