Chief of Party (CoP) – Syria Livelihood
BKM IDS LLC is seeking a Chief of Party for a five-year USAID proposal “Syria Livelihoods”. The Objective of the Syria Livelihoods is to restore livelihoods and revive local economies to foster resilience and stability in conflict-affected communities across North-East Syria. The project will support stakeholders to restore professional livelihoods and skills such as finance, construction, legal, agribusiness, transportation, import/export, telecommunications, health, retail, travel, and other technical, trade, and service sectors in target communities. It will also support stakeholders to restore local industries, such as construction, alternative energy, transportation, import/trade/retail and other sectors. Other areas of support include vocational training, entrepreneurs, expand access to capital and credit, expand access to telecommunications. Basic assistance packages will be delivered as well to unions, professional associations, and other stakeholders. This role will be based in Amman, Jordan and is contingent upon award.
IDS believes in resolving conflict and building innovative approaches to do so. Combining operational expertise with an intimate understanding of today’s greatest challenges to bring our customers the solutions required for success in a complex and multidimensional world. We tailor solutions for a diverse range of government, military, nonprofit, and public-sector clients.
- Provide strategic direction and overall supervision and successful implementation of the project.
- Develop and oversee project work plans and budgets based on expected project outputs and results.
- Track performance monitoring analysis and apply course correction.
- Act as the main representative and principal interlocutor and maintain a productive working relationship with USAID.
- Manage partnerships with partner organizations, local contractors, local authorities and municipalities, and civil society organizations.
- Ensure sound administrative practices with regards to record-keeping, compliance with the USAID regulations.
- Administer the project’s financial resources in accordance with the project budget and USAID requirements.
- Fulfill USAID’s reporting requirements.
- Ensure regular communication between field offices in Syria, Amman and the US.
- Ensuring that recruitment of national staff is according to internal administrative and HR policies and procedures.
- Supervise and provide support to local and international consultants and staff hired to deliver the project activities.
- Supervise the performance of sub-contractors, sub-grantees, and project team.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with all Project partners.
- Ensure the highest standards of accountability through ensuring good communication and information sharing within and outside the project and enabling staff, beneficiary and other stakeholders’ participation at all stages of the project cycle.
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- A Master’s degree (equivalent) or higher in international development, or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the humanitarian and development field.
- Prior experience as a COP or a DCOP.
- Extensive experience in the livelihood practice area including skills development, economic recovery, small business revitalization, entrepreneurship empowerment, and other related fields.
- Work experience in Syria preferably in North East Syria.
- Demonstrated technical leadership in a multi-sectoral project, with an emphasis on conflict-sensitive interventions, gender and women’s empowerment and social and behavior change communication.
- Relevant experience in managing conflict-sensitive projects of similar size and scope as supporting livelihoods in Syria.
- Solid background and knowledge of USAID Rules and Regulations.
- Availability for USAID vetting procedures immediately.
- Strong ability to manage and deal with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a diverse team on projects of similar scale (financially, culturally, staff size and activities).
- Demonstrated strong writing and oral presentation skills in English.
- Dynamic and willing to take initiatives to complete assigned tasks and work independently.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage change effectively.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Delegation, time management and prioritizing skills and coping with a broad range of demands.
- High level of critical thinking and proven high-quality analytical skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to speak, read and write Arabic is an asset.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, and local law.
About the Organization
IDS and its team of experts have built a strong reputation for their unparalleled depth of multi-disciplinary expertise in the 3Ds - defense, development, and diplomacy. We maintain an extensive network of interagency and smart power experts who have recently served in complex operations environments. Since 2001, IDS has helped develop multi-disciplinary solutions to government and private sector challenges. Our subject matter experts in civil-military operations, social science research, and analysis, training and capacity building work closely with customers to create solutions that cross boundaries and reflect best practices.