Job Description for Chief of Party (COP), USAID/RDMA-Laos Microenterprise Development Activity
World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU), the apex association for global financial cooperatives, seeks a COP to support the USAID/RDMA-Laos Microenterprise Development Activity. The purpose of the activity is to provide support to Micro- and Small Enterprises (MSEs) in Laos that will result in increased economic opportunity for poor communities, especially those in rural areas. The activity will also aid development and growth of MSEs by empowering their supplier or producer base. In addition to improving incomes, it is expected that this assistance will increase food security and improve health outcomes in some of Laos’ poorest communities.
Scope of Work:
The COP will provide overall leadership, management, and general technical direction for the entire activity, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors. He/she will focus on achieving the results defined in the contract and will be responsible for ensuring the successful implementation of the activity’s interventions, which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Increasing access to financial services that are well-tailored to the needs of microenterprises.
- Improving market infrastructure and building strong and sustainable market linkages with local and/or regional markets.
- Managing a grants facility.
- Conducting capacity building for organizations, enterprises, or individuals.
The COP is also responsible for:
- Leading, coordinating, and advising the technical units to achieve program objectives throughout Lao PDR.
- Overseeing and approving work plans, budgets, reports, and other deliverables, ensuring quality and compliance.
- Ensuring adherence to local laws, USAID rules and regulations, and WOCCU policies and procedures.
- Communicating regularly with the home office WOCCU Program Manager about activity progress against technical and financial objectives.
- Managing local and international subcontractors to meet or exceed technical and financial contractual requirements.
- Representing the Laos Microenterprise Development activity at related meetings and events.
- Acting as the key liaison between USAID/RDMA and all other counterparts, implementing partners, and Government of Lao PDR officials involved with the activity.
The Ideal Candidate’s Experience:
- Fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible experience in the area of agribusiness, banking, business development service management, policy-making, or private sector development.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of management experience of projects of similar complexity with demonstrated experience in managing a diverse team/s of professionals, and with administrative, procurement, hiring, recruitment, financial, and logistical aspects of implementing donor-funded projects.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical area such as business, economics, agricultural sciences, or rural and economic development is required. A master’s degree is desired.
- Knowledge and experience with approaches to develop MSEs, as well as approaches to increase access to finance, improve income generation, resolve enabling environment issues, and strengthen market system and value chain linkages.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID rules and regulations required, experience with other medium to large donor programs an asset.
- Excellent and interpersonal and communication skills to develop a communicate a common vision to partners from different nationalities and cultural backgrounds and the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams is desirable.
- Experience working in the regional is required; experience working in Lao PDR is highly preferred.
- Strong verbal and written skills in English are required; knowledge of local languages is highly desired.
**This position is a Vientiane, Laos-based position
WOCCU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Instructions for applying:
Please email a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line for the email should be: Laos Microenterprise Development – Chief of Party.
About the Organization
WOCCU is the apex association for global financial cooperatives with a network of 68,000 institutions in 109 countries reaching 235 million households worldwide and more than $1.4 Trillion (USD) mobilized in savings and shares. Our network of member-owned financial institutions instills a natural trust and spirit of cooperation within communities. Leveraging this platform, WOCCU supports financial markets in growing economies, along with global partners, such as USAID, the UN, and the World Bank by promoting financial inclusion, strengthening institutions as well as providing policy and regulatory support.