Job DescriptionRTI is currently seeking qualified candidates for a Chief of Party position on an anticipated USAID-funded Feed the Future Crop and Dairy Market Systems Development Activity. The goal of the activity is to improve productivity and incomes of smallholder Kenyan farmers and strengthen market systems. USAID anticipates a five-year period of performance with a total estimated cost range of $50-60 million. The Chief of Party (COP) is responsible for overall project performance, management, and execution ensuring all project deliverables are exceptionally exceeded within budget and compliance while ensuring strong and favorable client relations. This position will be located in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Manages client relations and serves as primary liaison and IDG Representative with the client and stakeholders regarding overall policy, resource mobilization and allocation, joint initiatives and coordination of project management and planning
- Provides technical direction and oversight of project value chain and dairy production activities.
- Hold primary responsibility for project performance and budget management.•
- Leads planning, oversight and coordination of all project activities and personnel, operational and technical.
- Ensures all project deliverables exceed expectations and managed within budget.•
- Ensure internal integration of project activities through: 1) the annual work plan and budgeting process; 2) creating/maintaining an effective project management team; 3) overseeing an effective monitoring and evaluation system
- Provide leadership and oversight for areas such as Finance, Operations, Reporting, Public Affairs, Fund Management and Human Resources; liaise with Regional Office and business partners per policy and practice.
- Responsible to ensure all staff receives adequate security and operational support and that Standard Operating Procedures are implemented.
- Manage all aspects of staffing and creating/maintaining a clear organizational structure with specific roles, responsibilities and reporting lines.
- Ensure management systems are operational to track expenditures (including labor) and monitor same against the Program work plan and budget, according to both company policy and client standards/regulations
- Responsible for developing and implementing practices to ensure a high level of staff morale and retention.
- Master•s Degree in international development, agronomy, economics, business, or rural development and 14 years of demonstrated senior management experience or Bachelor•s Degree and 20 years in managing value chain or agri-business projects.
- Demonstrated success using the market facilitation approach in agricultural development projects.
- Demonstrated experience designing and leading value chain development activities; experience in horticulture and dairy value chains preferred.
- Experience managing large subcontracts or grants under contracts preferred.
- Prior experience managing donor-funded programs in East Africa, experience in Kenya preferred.
- Written and verbal fluency in English.
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative across projects, flexible and creative.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills, including the ability to build and manage cooperative high-level relationships and motivate subordinates
- Knowledgeable and experienced with USAID policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with international development systems, policies, finances and management in developing countries.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability.
- Culturally sensitive and respectful.
About the OrganizationIDG Food & Agriculture