Job Title: Chief of Party
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Reports to: Country Representative
Note: This position is contingent upon grant and candidate approvals by the donor
Drawing on over a decade of experience in managing USAID Food for Peace (FFP) awards in Malawi, CRS will be submitting a proposal in response to the anticipated 2019 FFP Development Food Security Activities (DFSA) Request for Applications (RFA). The proposed program will involve a multi-sectoral response to build resilience and address food insecurity and malnutrition in Southern Malawi. The estimated timeframe for this project is 2019-2024.
CRS/Malawi is recruiting a Chief of Party (CoP) II to provide vision, leadership and overall management of the USAID DFSA project to serve the poor and vulnerable. The CoP will provide strategic leadership, management, and technical knowledge to ensure the delivery of high-quality programming, and to advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in Malawi. As a senior leader you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
* Master’s degree in International Development, International Relations or a relevant technical area. PhD preferred.
* 10 or more years relevant management and technical experience.
* 7 years of experience in managing donor funds, including multi country grants. Excellent knowledge and experience in budget management.
* Established leader in sector as demonstrated by peer reviewed publications, conference presentations etc.
* Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects, with complicated logistics.
* 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching and mentoring senior program staff.
* Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
* Ability to represent and present to high level officials
* Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
* Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
* Excellent relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
* Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching/mentoring skills.
* Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
* Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Language: English required
Program Manager Competencies
These are rooted in the mission, values and principles of CRS and used by each program manager to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
* Sets clear goals and manages toward them
* Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
* Manages financial resources with integrity
* Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
* Accountability and Stewardship
* Build Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Continuous Improvement and Innovation
* Strategic Mindset
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
This position is conditional upon award of funding for the DFSA.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
About the Organization
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS's Agriculture and Livelihoods team supports farming communities using our Pathway to Prosperity approach, which enables rural families to increase their productivity within sustainable landscapes, achieve a living income and build more resilient communities.