Chief of Party, Reading Expert – Djibouti Early Grade Reading Activity
Position Location: Djibouti
Project Proposal Name: Djibouti Early Grade Reading Activity (DEGRA)
Anticipated Start Date: September/October 2018
EDC is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The objective of the Djibouti Early Grade Reading Activity (DEGRA) is to improve reading achievement for Djiboutian children at the primary school level (grades 1-5). DEGRA will support the Government of Djibouti strategy of improving quality basic education through the improvement of children’s learning achievements in primary education.
The Chief of Party (COP) provides overall technical and administrative leadership and expertise for the Project and serves as the primary liaison with USAID/Djibouti on Djibouti Early Grade Reading Activity (DEGRA) on management and technical matters. S/he will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the Project and report directly to the designated USAID Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR). S/he will supervise activity implementation and ensure the activity meets stated goals, outcomes, benchmarks, and reporting requirements. The COP will take a leadership role in coordination among USAID and key stakeholders. The COP must have demonstrated ability to work in complex, unstable environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines across a broad geographic area.
The candidate for the position of Chief of Party shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
A Master’s Degree (PhD highly preferred) in education planning, social science or related field.
Skills and Experience:
- At least ten years of experience in technical experience working with programs that are of a similar scope and scale to this activity is required (at least four of these years must be in a management/leadership position);
- Proven experience as a national or international-level thought leader in policy related to early-grade reading;
- Proven experience serving as a reading specialist at the regional or national level;
- Verifiable experience managing comparable national early-grade reading programs;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and sustain professional relationships with host country government counterparts;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Experience working in East Africa is highly desired.
Full fluency in written and spoken French and English are required.
About the Organization
Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity.
Our International Development Division collaborates with local partners in more than 35 countries across five continents. We work at the preschool, primary, and secondary levels, and with youth, adults, and out-of-school learners. Whether helping youth build job skills in Haiti, teaching HIV/AIDS orphans in Zambia, or helping Yemeni teachers use technology to improve their skills, EDC is committed to building human capacity and ensuring our partners can sustain their own programs.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and has Affirmative Action Plans for Women and Minorities and for Disabled Workers and Veterans. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.