Chief of Party, Economic Growth
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
Palladium seeks a Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded Business Egypt project. This activity will increase income and employment in Egypt, with a focus on youth and women, by assisting the Egyptian government and private sector to encourage new entrants into the market and help firms grow and expand by raising firm-level productivity. The activity will: a) promote the growth of Egyptian micro, small, and medium-sized firms by building on USAID’s work to improve access to business development and financial services and partnering with the private sector to catalyze new investment and expansion that includes increasing their skilled workforce; and b) improve policies and regulations that affect firm-level productivity.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads technical direction and strategy development for implementation (including drafting project work plans) and ensures an integrated vision across components and partners.
- Ensures overall quality and cost effectiveness and establishes and maintains robust and adaptive knowledge management and M&E systems.
- Ensures effective use of resources, on-time delivery of project activity reports and partner deliverables, and overall compliance with USAID regulations and Palladium policies and procedures.
- Works with staff to recruit, hire and manage staff and consultants as needed to carry out activities.
- Works in partnership with a Home Office Project Director, engaging in frequent, routine communication so that the home office is aware of both progress and potential issues, and solicits assistance and input as needed to ensure that performance meets or exceeds technical and financial contractual requirements.
- Manages subcontractors, both international and local, to ensure that their performance meets or exceeds technical and financial contractual requirements.
- Serves as the key liaison between USAID, host-country counterparts, project partners, and Palladium.
- Supports implementation of Palladium’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues. Addresses local staffing and personnel issues related to security.
- Master’s Degree or higher in economics, international development, finance, business, or in a closely related field is required.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of Arabic would be a strong asset.
- A minimum of 12 years of experience working in economic development, at least eight years of which have been spent in COP or Team Lead level positions, preferably on Economic Growth contracts of similar size, scope, and complexity.
- Experience establishing and strengthening productive and collaborative relationships with government counterparts, local organizations, private sector, and other donor organizations.
- Experience working for large donor organizations such as USAID required; knowledge of USAID contract management, policies, procedures, regulations and reporting requirements strongly preferred.
- Experience supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving program needs.
- Strong leadership, program, organizational management and oral and written communication skills.
- Prior work in Egypt and/or the wider region is highly desirable.