Job DescriptionJob Summary:
The Chief of Party will lead the implementation for the USAID-funded Enhancing Capacity for Low Emission Development Strategies, Guatemala (G-LEDS) Program. Through the EC-LEDS program, Guatemala and the U.S. government are partnering to build institutional capacity to respond to climate change. They are working together to promote active participation from civil society and the private sector to reduce the effects of climate change and mitigate GHG emissions.
The position is responsible for overall project performance, management, and execution ensuring all project deliverables are exceptionally exceeded within budget and compliance for small to mid-size projects. Performs project planning, oversight, leadership, coordination. Ensures strong and favorable client relations. May perform technical assistance within scope of the project.
• Hold primary responsibility for project performance and budget management.
• Lead planning, oversight and coordination of all project activities and personnel, operational and technical.
• Ensure all project deliverables exceed expectations and managed within budget.
• Manage client relations and serves as primary liaison and International Development Group (IDG) Representative with the client and stakeholders regarding overall policy, resource mobilization and allocation, joint initiatives and coordination of project management and planning.
• Ensure internal integration of project activities through: 1) the annual work plan and budgeting process; 2) creating/maintaining an effective project management team; and 3) overseeing an effective monitoring and evaluation system.
• Provide leadership and oversight for areas such as Finance, Operations, Reporting, Public Affairs, Fund Management and Human Resources; liaise with Regional Office and business partners per policy and practice.
• Responsible to ensure all staff receives adequate security and operational support and that Standard Operating Procedures are implemented.
• Manage all aspects of staffing and creating/maintaining a clear organizational structure with specific roles, responsibilities and reporting lines.
• Ensure management systems are operational to track expenditures (including labor) and monitor same against the Program work plan and budget, according to both company policy and client standards/regulations.
• Responsible for developing and implementing practices to ensure a high level of staff morale and retention.
• Master•s Degree in relevant social science or related field (natural resource management, sustainable forestry management, climate change topics, REDD+, biodiversity conservation, etc.) and 10 years of related work experience;
• Senior level management experience (preferably DCOP, COP or equivalent) small to mid-size (approximately $2- 10 million), complex, donor-funded projects in developing countries.
• Proven knowledge and experience managing an international project with international and local staff.
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong skills in project and administrative management.
• Knowledgeable and experienced with international development contracting policies and procedures, specifically USAID.
• Demonstrated managerial skills.
• Demonstrated skills in problem solving, creativity and willingness to innovate, communication skills and history of collaboration with a wide range and levels of organizations (government, community organizations, NGOs, private sector, research institutions).
• Ability to build consensus and demonstrated ability to recruit and develop high performing teams.
• Strong leadership skills across various levels of staff and locations.
• Strong ability to work across technical and operational areas within business groups and corporate level.
• Familiarity with international development systems, policies, finances and management in developing countries.
• Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Ability to work well with others.
• Excellent ability in communication (verbal and written).
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability.
• Ability to obtain proper security clearances as required by contract and prevailing law.
• Culturally sensitive and respectful.
• Ability to fully and effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, in both Spanish and English is required.
About the OrganizationIDG Learning, Energy & Environment for Development