Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
Chief of Party, Entrepreneurship and Business Development Program, Senegal
ACDI/VOCA is currently seeking a Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID Entrepreneurship Promotion and Business Development Program project in Senegal. The program will increase sustainable economic opportunities for entrepreneurs and companies to increase investment and create employment that results in positive social impact. The Entrepreneurship Promotion and Business Development Program is a forward-thinking activity which will empower business owners and investors to participate in the markets across value chains and enhance business development services with the emphasis on promotion of economic independence of women and youth. The activity is funded by USAID and is envisioned to start in 2019.
The Chief of Party will oversee all technical activities and staff with an adaptive management approach to project implementation. The Chief of Party will lead engagement efforts to attract financial institutions and private sector actors to the entrepreneurial ecosystem. The position is based in Dakar, Senegal.
- Lead a small technical team of technical experts and facilitators to engage a large number of financial institutions, business development services providers, networking organizations, and other stakeholders in the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Spearhead strategy development and utilize managerial tools and frameworks to improve the ability of the team to successfully and sustainably achieve project goals.
- Use a market-led, facilitation-based, locally-driven and adaptive management approach to project implementation.
- Facilitate the development of the project’s evolving theory of change, oversee the implementation of the work plan, and track progress towards core indicators and learning objectives.
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID, sharing learning, presenting progress, troubleshooting, and securing buy-in for strategic improvements that enable the project to maximize the scale and sustainability of its impact and the value of USAID’s investment.
- Engage, coordinate, and collaborate with other development partners, government agencies, and implementing institutions active in the ecosystem.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in technical advisory and project management of programs targeting SME growth, market systems development, agribusiness and off-farm industries, development finance, impact investing, or a combination of the above.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, finance, marketing, business administration, agribusiness, or related area.
- Previous experience as a Chief of Party, Team Leader, or similar senior management position for projects with similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries is preferred.
- Experience with USAID programs and knowledge of USAID rules and regulations desired but not necessary.
- Previous experience working in West Africa desired.
- Knowledge in the following thematic areas: entrepreneurial ecosystems, adaptive management/CLA, market facilitation and systems approaches, SME finance and business advisory services.
- Demonstrated understanding of SME growth in emerging economies.
- Familiarity with marketplace realities outside of production-level agriculture, to include off-farm agriculture such as processing and trade, as well as non-farm including light manufacturing, logistics and hospitality.
- A positive attitude and willingness to adaptively manage projects and partners in complex environments.
- Excellent writing, oral presentation and communication skills.
- Fluency in English and French required.
Please apply online at www.acdivoca.org/international-jobs. The applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is a n equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Since 1963 and in 147 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.