As Chief of Party, you will be responsible for the management of all aspects of activity implementation in meeting the objectives of the USAID funded- Strengthening Organizational Capacity of Local Civil Society Organizations in Timor-Leste project including, but not limited to, technical, administrative, operational, and logistical management of project activities. You will provide vision, leadership and accountability for the ultimate success of the program. Your strategic leadership, management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in civil-socity enagement and capacity strengthening programming. The successful candidate will have a proven track record leading US government projects in civic social strengthening programs working with CSOs, FBOs and host governments to provide training and capacity building.
- Provide overall technical and administrative leadership to the project implementation team, including development of strategy, budgets, work plans, monitoring and evaluation plans and reporting to USAID and other stakeholders.
- Provide supervision, coaching, and professional development to the project team members, in accordance with CRS’s performance management system. Provide additional supervision, support, and oversight for consultants and implementing partner organizations. Effective distance management and a demonstrated ability to successfully delegate are critical for success.
- Work closely with the USAID Mission to provide timely updates on project progress, achievements, and challenges and make decisive adjustments when needed.
- Serve as the primary representative of the Project to relevant local and national governmental authorities, local and international NGOs, community organizations, private sector partners, UN Agencies and other donor organizations. The CoP will have primary responsibility for promoting sustainable cooperation with counterparts at various levels of government and the private sector.
- Ensure full compliance with USAID rules and regulations, with a particular emphasis on preventing the misuse or misdirection of program funds and maximizing value for money.
- Lead and carefully monitor program implementation, impact, and milestone achievement. Work in close collaboration with the sub-Regional Head of Programs to ensure that project targets are met, achievements are documented, and successes are disseminated.
- Promote the sustainability of project activities through effective networking, linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening of implementing partners, CSOs, and host government counterparts.
Travel Required: 50% within Timor-Leste.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Country Manager, Sub-Regional Head of Programs, Finance Manager, Deputy Chief of Party, technical leads
External: Timor Leste government representatives, USAID representatives in Timor-Leste, implementing partner program managers, private sector stakeholders
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in social sciences, international development, or related fields.
- At least 10 years of demonstrated experience in civic engagement, capacity-strengthening, and organizational development working with host governments and local NGOs.
- Prior experience working in Timor-Leste or Southeast Asia preferred.
- 7 years experience managing US government funds, including multi country grants and/or awards in excess of USD 5 million. Excellent knowledge and experience in budget management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID project management including USAID rules and regulation and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, multi-activity projects, and distance management of direct subordinates.
- 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to creating learning environment. Experience coaching and mentoring senior managers and effectively engaging influential project stakeholders.
- Experience engaging government and private sector stakeholders and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership approach a plus.
- Ability to represent the Agency, verbally and in writing, at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Excellent strategic, analytic, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with the capacity to see the big picture and the ability to make strategic decisions.
- Excellent relationship management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Strong team leadership abilities with diverse and multi-disciplinary teams. Ability to be an effective coach and mentor.
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
- Proactive, patient, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and flexible.
Required/Desired Foreign Language: English. Knowledge of Bahasa/Tetun is preferred.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.