Job DescriptionInternal Description:
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Chief of Party (COP), for the anticipated USAID-funded Georgia Financial Innovation Program (FIP). FIP will support SMEs and the financial service sector to drive innovation, economic growth, high-value employment opportunities, and create the necessary base to support Georgia’s journey to self-reliance. The anticipated program will: 1) help strengthen institutional, regulations, systems, and infrastructure to support innovative, alternative financing products and services; 2) ensure that the local financial market has the resources to deliver innovative, alternative financial products/services to the private sector; and 3) Improve the capacity of the private sector to access fit-for-purpose financing. FIP will work primarily with the private sector.
Based in Tbilisi, the COP will provide overall leadership, management, and technical direction to the program, and will serve as a key liaison between FIP and USAID/Georgia, other implementing partners, and private sector involved with the activity.
The position will report to Abt’s Home Office Project Director. Position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
- Overall leadership, management, and strategic direction for the program;
- Serves as the primary liaison with USAID, other key US Governments organizations and initiatives, private sector institutions, and the donor community;
- Supervise the project’s technical team to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation;
- Monitors the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high quality work and internal control;
- Lead the development of financial market infrastructure and intermediary institutions, and support the development of diversified financial products and services tailored to SMEs
- Oversee the design of technical assistance provided to SMEs to increase uptake of financial products;
- Liaise with appropriate government agencies, including the USDFC, and international investment entities for the development of training programs as well as the development of blended financing;
- Responsible for all project deliverables and reporting; and
- Serve as the main point of contact with Abt Associates’ home office.
- MBA or a Master’s degree in finance, international business, economics, or related field is required;
- At least 12 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role overseeing projects and initiatives similar in size and scope;
- More than 10 years of experience in one or several of the following technical areas: business growth, SME access to finance, impact investing, financial advisory, financial markets, banking, and FinTech;
- Experience supporting SMEs and the financial service sector to drive innovation, economic growth, and high-value employment opportunities, including but not limited to supporting the development of diversified financial products and services tailored to SMEs;
- Experience supporting the development of financial market infrastructure and intermediary institutions in emerging markets, and experience working with or supporting emerging markets in the promotion of private equity and blended finance instruments;
- Knowledge of Georgia’s financial market and the obstacles inhibiting SMEs and the financial service sector to drive innovation, economic growth, and create jobs;
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate subordinates;
- Experience with USAID is preferred;
- Fluency in English required; knowledge of Georgian preferred;
- Bachelor’s Degree + Fifteen years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or PhD + Ten years of relevant experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com