Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children, working in more than 120 countries. Every year, SC responds to multiple large-scale and complex emergencies around the world. Spearheading our humanitarian response is our Emergency Health Unit (EHU), which can deploy medical teams within 72 hours of a crisis. The EHU not only specializes in rapid provision of primary healthcare services, but also retains the capacity to manage disease outbreaks and deliver large-scale immunization programs. During the Ebola crisis, SC was at the heart of the response, establishing community care and Ebola treatment centers, and training health workers. SC is also leading community action on Zika in the Americas. Historically, SC has been proactive in preparedness and response to pandemic threats. Working with the Humanitarian Pandemic Preparedness initiative, SC contributed substantially to WHO guidance documents. SC’s Influenza Working Group also developed Pandemic Influenza Guidance, related to mitigating the consequences of a global pandemic.
Save the Children is recruiting a Chief of Party (COP) for a 3–year USAID/OFDA program on Infectious Diseases (with Epidemic or Pandemic potential) to Augment Capacity for a Humanitarian Emergency. This new Standby and Augment Capacity project will address critical, multi-sectoral response actor capacity gaps needed to maintain technical and operational readiness to ensure rapid response to infectious disease outbreaks with epidemic or pandemic potential that reach the scale of a humanitarian emergency. This program will serve to prepare to scale up critical population-level interventions for the control of infectious diseases of humanitarian concern. This may include activities such as (but not limited to) contingency planning and simulation exercises; the development or adaptation of toolkits, training of trainer activities, or development of technical guidance; establishment of rapid response teams, the development of rosters for surge capacity; augmentation of operational readiness and enhancing cross-sectoral, standard operating protocols and regional coordination mechanisms.
The Chief of Party (COP) will be the principal representative of the program and will work with Save the Children’s member organization, consortium partner to ensure adherence to the overall technical and programmatic quality of program implementation, compliance with USAID/OFDA rules and regulations, and timely submission of all deliverables to the donor. S/he will provide strategic and operational leadership to develop and implement a successful and integrated multi-sectoral program that builds upon existing USAID investments and that will achieve lasting outcomes. The COP will be responsible for the overall coordination of activities among USAID, other key stakeholders, and other impending partners under this agreement. The COP position not only requires significant technical understanding of infection diseases, pandemic preparedness and response, but also requires strong coordination and facilitation skills with solid understanding of political, economic, social and cultural norms in high risk countries for pandemic.
This position is contingent on the issuance of USAID funding and the selection of applicants is subject to USAID approval. The work location is flexible.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties):
- Oversee contractual and financial management, as well as technical direction of the program, ensuring consortium members are on track to deliver program’s strategic objectives.
- Serve as Save the Children’ official representation in maintaining communication among all key parties, including USAID/OFDA, representatives of consortium members, government key stakeholders at ministry level and global technical forums.
- Lead participatory planning process to produce a strategic plan for program deliverables.
- Oversee development and implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Plan.
- Identify risks, monitor challenges, and adjust work plans accordingly so that the program’s strategic objectives are delivered in a timely manner.
- Line manage key program staff including Lead Technical Advisor, Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor, and other Technical Specialists.
- Ensure high-quality and timely submission of all reporting requirements, including quarterly and annual reports.
Your background, experience, and skills set:
- MD with a Master’s Degree in Public Health preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in humanitarian health programming, preferably experience in overseeing or managing consortium programs, or integrated multi-sector programs with direct management to technical and support staff within a large team.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in emergency preparedness in general and preferably experience in health focused emergency preparedness.
- Familiarity with current global risks of pandemic; comprehensive understanding of international humanitarian response systems/mechanisms.
- Background in infectious disease prevention and outbreak response is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Prior experience and knowledge of USAID regulations and requirement.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is essential. A second language would be desirable.
What’s In It For You:
- Meaningful work, with a knowledge that you are changing the lives of children and their familiies all around the world.
- A family friendly work environment.
- Highly collaborative and innovative teams.
- Generous paid vacation days, holidays, family leave days, and sick time.
- Healthcare plans, including medical, dental, and life insurance.
- Retirement savings account with matching company contributions.
- Structured and formalized management development and coaching programs for mid and senior level managers
- Extensive e-learning opportunities on a variety of topics offered through our affiliation with several prestigious universities as well as language learning opportunities.
About the Organization
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world's most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.