Requisition ID: req2077
Job Title: Chief of Party - Humanitarian Emergencies of Infectious Diseases
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
NOTE: position is contingent on successful bid; if funding awarded, position to start Fall 2018 for the full program period of performance, 3 years.
The IRC responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Health programs represent the largest single sector within which IRC currently operates, constituting approximately 45% of the international budget and with activities in 22 countries. Field-based health staff are supported by a headquarters Health Unit comprised of health professionals with many years of experience in humanitarian work. The IRC’s Emergency Unit leads and oversees IRC’s global emergency preparedness and response activities. The Chief of Party for the OFDA-funded program, Augmenting Capacity for Humanitarian Emergencies of Infectious Diseases with Epidemic or Pandemic Potential, will be responsible for working with the IRC’s Health Unit, Emergency Unit, and key Operations teams, as well as several strategic subprime partners, to support increased global preparedness for L3 outbreak emergencies, both at the IRC specifically and within the humanitarian response community more broadly.
The Chief of Party will be tasked with providing overall leadership and technical direction of the implementation of the OFDA-funded program, Augmenting Capacity for Humanitarian Emergencies of Infectious Diseases with Epidemic or Pandemic Potential. This will include creating a cohesive vision of the program’s many components and establishing a common understanding of the program’s objectives among its multiple stakeholders. The Chief of Party is ultimately responsible for achieving the results outlined in the award with the donor and shall identify any potential risks to successful implementation and initiate appropriate adjustments in a timely/preemptive manner. S/he will act as the main liaison for all senior program stakeholders, including the donor, consortium partners, and IRC leadership. This position requires significant coordination and facilitation skills, in addition to strong technical understanding of infectious diseases and pandemic responses in high risk countries, including political, economic, cultural, social, and institutional norms. The Chief of Party reports to the IRC’s Director of Emergency Health.
* Provide overall leadership, management, and technical direction for the program implementers, including the IRC and its consortium partners
* Act as main liaison for key program stakeholders, notably OFDA and technical leads from the partner organizations
* Spearhead collaborations with partners around joint program exercises
* Supervise timely progress on IRC’s main work streams and ensure coherence with activities implemented by consortium partners
* Identify risks, monitor challenges, and make appropriate adjustments to the IRC workplan, with careful follow-up and clear communication
* Manage recruitment of any staff and/or short-term consultants required for IRC’s scope of work; approve new staff hired by subprime partners
* Supervise core program staff, notably the Lead Technical Advisor and the Monitoring & Evaluation Advisor
* Ensure overall program quality, budget compliance, and adherence to all IRC and donor rules and regulations
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: IRC Director of Emergency Health
Position directly supervises: 1) Lead Technical Advisor 2) Monitoring & Evaluation Advisor
Other Internal and/or external contacts: CoP will work extensively with various Heads of Unit at the IRC and management leads from consortium partners to ensure coordinated completion of all program work streams.
* Education: Master’s degree in humanitarian affairs, international development, public health, or related field of study or equivalent work experience required;
* Work Experience: 10+ years of progressively responsible international work experience, preferably in emergency settings and overseeing multi-sector programs; at least 7 years of management experience, including direct supervision of technical and operational staff working on multi-faceted programs
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
* Relevant technical background in emergency response and/or emergency health, preferably with a focus on outbreaks/infectious disease
* Familiarity with current global risks of pandemic; sound understanding of international humanitarian response systems/mechanisms
* Sound understanding of operational practicalities of emergency preparedness and response
* Extensive knowledge of US government grants administration, practices, rules/regulations
* Demonstrated ability to create a cohesive vision for a variety of stakeholders and maintain a productive collaborative environment
* Ability to oversee large, longer-term processes while maintaining attention to detail in the immediate
* Superlative communication skills, including interpersonal relations and cross-cultural dynamics
* Fluent in English, and French strongly preferred
* Working Environment:Standard office work environment. 25-30% travel
About the Organization
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 27 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.