The COP II will provide the vision and overall leadership and management to the Niger DFSA FFP project team. S/he will be responsible for overseeing the overall management of the project, including the quality of programmatic implementation and administrative elements of the project, including the coordination of all consortium partners, and monitoring the budget. The COP will serve as the primary point of contact to USAID as well as public, private and non-government stakeholders. S/he will be responsible for ensuring compliance, including oversight of partner budgets, finance and administration, and reporting to USAID. The COP will ensure that project results are achieved on time and on budget, including strategies for phase out and sustainability, and that the budget is executed as planned. In addition, your strategic leadership, management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in Niger. As a senior leader you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
- Lead all aspects of the implementation and consolidation of the Niger Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) project, including ensuring that the project contributes to the thought leadership of the industry. Serve as the primary point of contact to USAID/Food for Peace (FFP) as well as public, private and non-government stakeholders.
- Ensure the project is designed and implemented to meet donor expectations in terms of timely and quality results and budget, including strategies for phase out and sustainability. Ensure coordination between program and operations leads. Ensure the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
- Effectively manage senior programming and operations talent. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Oversee the development of staffing plans and the recruitment process of senior staff.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans and ensure the updating of such plans.
- Promote, uphold and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Ensure compliance with USAID/FFP grants, including financial tracking and oversight of partner budgets, finance, administration and reporting to USAID/FFP. Approve program expenditures, budget adjustments, and cost modification requests to donors.
- Represent CRS programming in international circles, highlighting innovative work. Publish program results and deliver presentations. Oversee the development of communication strategies and materials, complying with donor and CRS’ branding and marketing requirements and procedures.
- Manage relationships with partner organizations and the government of Niger’s relevant ministries, including organization of review/planning workshops and quarterly steering committee meetings. Coordinate the roles and activities of staff from other partner organizations in implementation in line with CRS partnership principles.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Identify performance gaps and training opportunities for CRS and partner staff and ensure the design and delivery of high-quality training and technical assistance.
Education and Experience
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
- Master’s degree in International Development, International Relations, Agriculture, Public Health, or a relevant technical area. PhD preferred.
- 10 or more years’ relevant management and technical experience.
- 7 years experience managing donor funds, including multi country grants. Excellent knowledge and experience in budget management.
- Established leader in sector as demonstrated by peer reviewed publications, conference presentations etc.
- Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects, with complicated logistics.
- 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching and mentoring senior program staff.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Ability to represent and present at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Excellent relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching/mentoring skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Language Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French required
Travel Required 30-50% travel in-country, with some international travel
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory Deputy Chief of Party Programs, Strategic Learning Lead, Senior Gender Lead, Senior MEAL Lead Operations Manager, Finance Manager, Program Assistant
Internal CRS Country Representative, Head of Programs, Head of Operations, Finance Manager, Head of Office
External Country Directors of partners, Steering Committee, USAID, FFP, HCi3N, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Agriculture, other related government bodies and authorities, and service providers
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.