FHI 360 currently is seeking candidates for Chief of Party (COP) for an expected U.S.-based, USAID-funded project aimed at augmenting capacity for humanitarian emergencies of infectious diseases with epidemic or pandemic potential. The project will address critical, multi-sectoral response actor capacity gaps needed to maintain technical and operational readiness to ensure rapid response to infectious disease outbreaks with epidemic or pandemic potential (e.g., influenza, viral hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola Virus Disease, Marburg Virus Disease, Lassa Fever, Pandemic Influenza, etc.) and that reach the scale of a humanitarian emergency. Activities may include contingency planning and simulation exercises; the development or adaptation of toolkits, training of trainer activities, and/or development of technical guidance; establishment of rapid response teams and the development of rosters for surge capacity; and augmentation of operational readiness and enhancing cross-sectoral, standard operating protocols
and regional coordination mechanisms.
The COP will lead and direct the development and implementation of programs and activities aimed at achieving project objectives of improving the operational and technical coordination capabilities of international NGOs working in emergency humanitarian disease outbreak response; strengthening INGO operational capacity to more efficiently launch humanitarian responses to future infectious disease outbreaks and pandemics; and develop effective technical preparedness across and between relevant sectors, including health, WASH, protection, agriculture and food security, etc.
The Augmenting Capacity for Humanitarian Emergencies of Infectious Diseases project will be based in Washington, DC. Hiring is contingent upon successful award of the project to FHI 360 by USAID. In addition, the selection of the final candidate is subject to USAID approval.
- Master’s degree in closely related field (MPH with specialization in epidemiology highly desirable)
- At least 10 years of experience in emergency humanitarian response, particularly in infectious disease outbreaks
- Prior experience as COP or Project Director for a USAID/Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) project
- Field experience with a large-scale infectious disease outbreak response - experience in containment and/or treatment activities preferred
- Technical expertise in either public health/epidemiology, WASH, behavior change communication, or social mobilization in infectious disease contexts
- Experience managing and presenting in conferences and technical workshops
- Familiarity with the UN cluster mechanism and humanitarian/infectious disease incident management system
- Direct experience coordinating infectious disease response activities with host government representatives
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.