Democracy International, Inc. (DI) seeks experienced Chief of Party candidates for the anticipated multi-year USAID Liberia Political Party Strengthening project. The primary responsibilities of this position will be to provide overall management and technical expertise to the anticipated USAID political party strengthening project to more constructively engage electoral processes in Liberia.
This position is contingent upon the availability of funding for the anticipated political parties strengthening program in Liberia and donor approval of personnel. The position is based in Monrovia, Liberia.Responsibilities:
The Chief of Party’s major responsibilities include:
- Provide overall management and technical expertise for DI’s political parties strengthening program in Liberia;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Liberian civil society and government leaders, as well as donors, implementing partners, and the international community;
- Manage a diverse team of project staff throughout Liberia, and provide technical assistance, as needed, to program partners and beneficiaries on platform development, political organizing, advocacy, conflict resolution and mitigation, and communications;
- Oversee the development and implementation of financial tracking systems and coordinate and monitor project budgets to ensure all expenditures are in compliance with DI and donor regulations and within the scope of the program’s long-term budget;
- Represent DI externally at meetings, workshops, and other events;
- Develop regular reports and ongoing activity monitoring consistent with the requirements of DI’s cooperative agreement with USAID and with internal reporting requirements;
- Act as a key liaison with the Government of Liberia and USAID offices in Liberia and Washington, DC in the areas of oversight, reporting, and compliance.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in a relevant field, such as International Relations or political science;
- Minimum ten (10) years of relevant experience leading and managing complex democracy and governance programming, with significant experience in political party strengthening programs;
- Experience working in developing countries, preferably in Liberia/Central and West Africa;
- Demonstrated ability to lead diverse teams in major multi-year programs in democracy, human rights, and governance;
- Prior experience managing large USAID-funded programs with large sub-grant components, and familiarity with USAID and US Government monitoring, evaluation, and reporting requirements;
- Demonstrated capacity to develop solid working relationships with senior government officials, local governments, non-governmental institutions, and coordination with other donors. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required;
- Demonstrated record of success in politically sensitive environments;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
Interested candidates should apply via Democracy International’s Website. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please note that DI’s recruitment for this position is contingent upon award.
Please note that the solicitation for this project has not yet been released. DI will contact candidates upon solicitation release.
About the Organization
Democracy International, Inc. (DI) provides technical assistance, analytical services, project implementation, and monitoring and evaluation for democracy, human rights, governance, conflict mitigation, and other programs worldwide for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. State Department, and other development partners. Since its founding in 2003, Democracy International has worked with civil society organizations, political parties, election-management bodies, government agencies, legislatures, justice-sector institutions, and others in 70 countries. DI is an equal opportunity employer.