Job DescriptionPosition Summary:
DI is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) as part of a proposal for a donor-funded project that seeks to enhance electoral security and mitigate electoral violence for upcoming local and national electoral events in Libya, The COP is to be based in Tunis, Tunisia and will have overall management responsibility for the project.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Project Director or his/her designee.
The COP will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results. S/he will undertake regular assessments of the broader political environment within which the project operates to ensure flexibility and rapid reprioritization of activities when necessary. The position would be based in Tunis, Tunisia, and would be contingent upon project award to DI.
DI will contact qualified candidates upon solicitation release.
- Serve as principal liaison with donor representatives, Libyan government counterparts and other stakeholders on program communications and technical implementation activities;
- Provide overall technical vision, direction, leadership, and management for the project. Ensure quality control and the appropriateness of all activities under the project;
- Provide technical support to the team in all program areas;
- Develop and implement work plans for project activities;
- Oversee the management and implementation of financial tracking systems and coordinate and monitor project budgets to ensure all expenditures are in compliance with DI and donor regulations and within the scope of the program’s long-term budget;
- Oversee implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensure that project results are met;
- Supervise development and submission of project deliverables and provide timely and accurate reporting and briefings to Donor/Stakeholders on all program areas;
- Ensure compliance with all terms of the project contract and all relevant donor rules and regulations;
- Oversee implementation of DI’s security protocols and provide leadership in handling security-related issues;
- Represent DI externally at meetings, workshops, and other events;
- Bachelors degree in international development, political science, management, or other relevant field. Advanced Degree preferred.
- 8 to 10 years of experience in project support and oversight, including managing programs in transitional or developing environments, managing teams, grant-making, and budget oversight;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in election support projects
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with USAID and/or U.S. State Department compliance and reporting requirements as well as a thorough understanding of the U.S. State Department regulatory environment;
- Experience in Libya highly desirable; Experience in North Africa and the Middle East preferred;
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Professional fluency in English is required. Arabic is desired.
About the Organization
Democracy International, Inc. (DI) provides technical assistance, analytical services, project implementation, and monitoring and evaluation for democracy, human rights, governance, conflict mitigation, and other programs worldwide for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. State Department, and other development partners. Since its founding in 2003, Democracy International has worked with civil society organizations, political parties, election-management bodies, government agencies, legislatures, justice-sector institutions, and others in 70 countries. DI is an equal opportunity employer.