FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID project in Libya, Local Governance Civil Society. The expected activity will build civil society capacity and support cooperation and mobilization of civil society organizations in Libya.
The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for providing overall vision, leadership and guidance of the project. S/he will be the project’s main point of contact for USAID and all other stakeholders. The COP will also be responsible for overall project management and technical operations to ensure that the project tasks are completed and that the objectives of the project are successfully met. It is expected that the COP will be located in Tunis, Tunisia, with anticipated project-funded travel to Libya.
Essential Job Functions: Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead FHI 360’s team and serve as the primary point of contact with USAID regarding the day-to-day activity implementation and management matters relating to the contract.
- Liaise with the USAID Mission, CSOs, government stakeholders, private sector, and other local partners to coordinate activities.
- Ensure that all assistance provided under the contract is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed.
- Manage and supervise the work of experts/personnel provided under the contract.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for information on the progress and current status of all activities under the contract.
- Establish appropriate monitoring mechanisms to ensure that activity progress and specific implementation concerns are regularly and promptly reported and that project objectives are met.
- Manage the preparation and presentation of work plans, M&E plans, and all reports.
- Facilitate ongoing project learning and adaptive management.
- Ensure that solid relationships are built and maintained between and among FHI 360 and sub-contractor project staff, USAID, and key local stakeholders and partners.
- At least 10 years of experience successfully managing complex international programs (implementation, logistics, budgeting, staffing), preferably those funded by USAID and those conducted in North Africa and/or the Middle East;
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field required;
- Demonstrated success across the whole range of project management responsibilities including: strategic program planning; work planning and budgeting; financial, administrative, contractual management and oversight;
- Demonstrated success supervising program staff and support team members;
- Demonstrated successes in relationship management with multiple clients; oversight of program monitoring and evaluation; and documentation of results for USAID-funded programs;
- Fluency in speaking, reading and writing in Arabic and English; fluency in French preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills with demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations, as well as mentor national staff;
- Past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming;
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience; and
- Strong analytical capacity.
Availability of position is contingent upon award to FHI 360. Selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.